[comp.windows.ms] Spreadsheet

williamss@topaz.ucq.edu.au (05/23/91)

I am considering upgrading my Excel 2c spreadsheet programme to Excel 3.
However, my friendly University Bookshop manager (I am an academic) told me
that it would just as cheap to purchase the Academic version of Quattro-Pro.
Is there any advantage in one over the other, and if so which would I be better
of getting.

Steve Williams
Williamss@topaz.ucq.edu.au
s    , ai

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/23/91)

williamss@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:

>I am considering upgrading my Excel 2c spreadsheet programme to Excel 3.
>However, my friendly University Bookshop manager (I am an academic) told me
>that it would just as cheap to purchase the Academic version of Quattro-Pro.
>Is there any advantage in one over the other, and if so which would I be better
>of getting.

This is the subject of considerable debate.

If you're an avid Windows user, I'd suggest getting Excel.  It's prettier and
totally compatible with other Windows apps.  You wont have the flexibility
with a DOS application if you want to run it from Windows.

To make the point another way, I have been ultimately loyal to WordPerfect and
Lotus 1-2-3 for 5 years.  Anytime someone even mentioned "Word" or "Excel" I
cringed.  My friend in D.C. got Windows around the same time I did and he was
also a WordPerfect fanatic.  Then he got Word for Windows and told me about it,
raving praises.  I mocked him for even THIKING about Microsoft Word for
anything.  Then I was motivated to buy Word for Windows for a research project
and I'm now a full convert.  Then I saw Excel on another friend's machine
and bought the program the next day; killed my 123 directory that night!

The issue of speed is an important one, however.  Word and Excel for Windows
are both slower than WP51 and 123r3.  But then again, these are DOS apps and
running them from Windows is sometimes a hassle.  On the other hand, the
ability to easily exchange data from spreadsheet to document and elsewhere is
attractive.  The Windows interface is also pleasant to work with, although,
again, it is slow on some machines.  But if you've got gobs of memory, speed
becomes less of an issue, much.

Anyway, it has by now become apparent that I might as well be a Microsoft
sales rep.  This is probably because my attitude toward MS has shifted 180
degrees in the last six months.  I've had BIG problems with the documentation
MS generates and had a personal boycott of MS for a little while.  (I'm a
psychology major pursuing an honors thesis in human-computer interaction,
technical documentation, and software usability.)  But I've been so pleased
with the Windows environment and the Windows apps. that I'm learning to
ignore the documentation and enjoy the plusses.  Tell me, in what DOS apps.
can you have a word processor and a spreadsheet running at the same time and
dynamically link data from one to the other so that changes in one are linked
to the other in real time?!  Nope, I can't think of any either.

P.S. Buy everything you can while you're still a student.  After you graduate
you'll be paying what the rest of the world pays: too much!

Andrew
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May23.095836.7313@topaz.ucq.edu.au> williamss@topaz.ucq.edu.au writes:
>I am considering upgrading my Excel 2c spreadsheet programme to Excel 3.
>However, my friendly University Bookshop manager (I am an academic) told me
>that it would just as cheap to purchase the Academic version of Quattro-Pro.
>Is there any advantage in one over the other, and if so which would I be better
>of getting.

If you want something that runs in Windows then you are much better off
getting Excel.  I also feel that Excel 3.0 is much more powerful than
Quattro-Pro but that is personal opinion.

Chris

--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1