[comp.windows.ms] WIN 3.0 & ACAD/386

trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org (Georg Trietsch) (05/15/91)

Once again, Hi!

Is there anybody out there, who has AutoDesk's AutoCAD/386 running
together with Windows 3.0 in Standard Mode ?

The real problem is, using windows requires himem.sys. After himem is
loaded no more extended memory is available but AutoCAD/386 needs 1Meg
of pure extended memory or managed by an EMS manager providing VCPI
interface.

QEMM and 386MAX are doing this and are compatible with windows, but
they refuse to run windows in standard mode, only real and enhanced
mode.

Now there is another problem, I also want to use a remote Oracle
database and winapps based on Oracles's DLL require standard mode. For
this reason QEMM and 386MAX aren't a solution.

So the only solution I see is to use a memory manager which supports
windows standard mode _and_ VCPI, not only DPMI as himem does.

Any ideas ?

Thanx for your help.
* -----   .    | UUCP  : trig@dkatrig.UUCP       |  Georg Trietsch  *
*  / /- /  /_> |         trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org |  Karlsruhe  FRG  *
* / /  /   _/  | Voice : +49 721 758452          |                  *

markv@hls.com (05/23/91)

In article <wiTu21w162w@dkatrig.ka.sub.org>, trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org
(Georg Trietsch) writes:
> Once again, Hi!
>
> Is there anybody out there, who has AutoDesk's AutoCAD/386 running
> together with Windows 3.0 in Standard Mode ?
>
> The real problem is, using windows requires himem.sys. After himem is
> loaded no more extended memory is available but AutoCAD/386 needs 1Meg
> of pure extended memory or managed by an EMS manager providing VCPI
> interface.
>
> QEMM and 386MAX are doing this and are compatible with windows, but
> they refuse to run windows in standard mode, only real and enhanced
> mode.
>
> Now there is another problem, I also want to use a remote Oracle
> database and winapps based on Oracles's DLL require standard mode. For
> this reason QEMM and 386MAX aren't a solution.
>
> So the only solution I see is to use a memory manager which supports
> windows standard mode _and_ VCPI, not only DPMI as himem does.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanx for your help.

I 've used QEMM 5.11 and 5.12 with Windows and have had no problem getting
windows up in standard mode. I vaguely remember once getting Desqview up
and running windows in standard mode under Desqview.

So it should be possible to use QEMM and Windows 3.0 in standard mode,
and there is something fishy about your configuration that stops it
from working.
--
Mark van der Pol | "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
 markv@hls.com   |Vroom Vrondel, spokesman for the association of Sages, Illum-