[comp.windows.ms] WIN3 Standard Mode & QEMM 5.11

trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org (Georg Trietsch) (05/23/91)

Hi there!

Sure this question is already worked out, but I didn't follow up
the news a few weeks ago and it was not mentioned in the latest FAQ.

I installed QEMM 5.11 by default and the following line is part of my
CONFIG.SYS:

Device = C:\QEMM\QEMM386.SYS RAM

Running windows in real or enhanced mode really works fine, but
starting Windows in standard mode returns immediatly after the title
screen. That means, I enter WIN /S or WIN /2, the title screen appears
and then I'm back at DOS.

Has anyone any idea whats's going wrong?

Thanks for your help.

* -----   .    | UUCP  : trig@dkatrig.UUCP       |  Georg Trietsch  *
*  / /- /  /_> |         trig@dkatrig.ka.sub.org |  Karlsruhe  FRG  *
* / /  /   _/  | Voice : +49 721 758452          |                  *

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (05/23/91)

I've done something similar with EMM386.SYS and when I try for Standard mode
I get informed that there's a foreign memory manager installed.

Basically this means Windows can't install it's own manager and so it stops.
I suspect this is the problem you're facing.

Memory management is basically the same in real and enhanced modes but there
is no hardware support in real mode.

Standard memory mapping is WEIRD.

Your only likely solution is to remove QEMM.

Question why do you want standard if you've got enhanced?

Regards,
	Dan C.

smsmith@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M Smith) (05/23/91)

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes:

>Standard memory mapping is WEIRD.
>Your only likely solution is to remove QEMM.
>Question why do you want standard if you've got enhanced?

One advantage of standard mode is that 1) it's faster (so I've
heard); and 2) it will run under Desqview (which is the way
I run it).

If Windows won't run in standard mode with QEMM 5.11 then
something is WRONG.  It SHOULD work.

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (05/24/91)

In article <37140021@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes:

>Question why do you want standard if you've got enhanced?
>
>Regards,
>	Dan C.

If, like me, you only have a 386-25 you know why.
Enhanced mode is slow!
(I wonder if it's also slow on a 486-33 machine :-)

--
Victor Menayang         victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Internet)
                                           vm@UTXVM (BITNET)