[comp.windows.ms] NCACHE-F REGISTERtch-All for Windows Problems

markv@hls.com (05/24/91)

In article <colfelt.674977066@tramp.Colorado.EDU>, colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) writes:
> john@utafll.uta.edu (John Baima) writes:
>
>>I've had more success with SmartDrv than the PC-TOOLS disk cache. I
>>switched to PC-TOOLS a few weeks ago (and made some other changes at
>>the same time) and Windows went *BOOM* quite a lot. Now it's only
>>sometimes :-)

> I did some experimenting.

So did I.

I've set up the cache do perform readaheads, delayed writes and some other
sizing params. It does work well, as far as disk caching is concerned -
there are operations now that don't access the disk at all after the
first pass- like loading W4W! ( I do have 8 Megs, 2 assigned to the cache )

However, there is a problem - Windows crashes more frequently. This is
probably due to my set up, which includes running Novell alongside
TCP/IP. If I ommit TCP/IP, things are slightly more stable, perhaps.

There seems to be no pattern to the crashes, but they are different from
'normal' UAE in that the UAE never comes up, or only a blank box appears
at the position and size of a UAE - no content, border or anything. The
realy weird thing is that it feels like an intermittent problem - I reboot,
load the network stuff, start windows - boom. Reboot etc.. and windows
works ... for a while, then boom. Reboot etc, and windows stays up all day-
or not. So how do you get intermittent problems with software???

That is the state at this time. I'm persisting using NCACHE-F, as the
performance is radically better, and hopefully over time my problem will
fade...

--
Mark van der Pol | "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
 markv@hls.com   |Vroom Vrondel, spokesman for the association of Sages, Illum-