[comp.windows.ms] How does ATM do Laserjet Fonts?

hpasanen@cs.hut.fi (Harri Pasanen) (05/21/91)

How does Adobe Type Manager do HP Laserjet fonts?  Does it have down-loadable
postscript fonts for Laserjet (Series II), or does it generate the fonts
on the fly as graphics?

Graphics approach would probably be painfully slow, so I hope it's not the
approach taken.

Harri Pasanen

Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.bc.ca (Bruce Dunn) (05/22/91)

> hpasanen@cs.hut.fi writes:
> Person: Harri Pasanen
>
> How does Adobe Type Manager do HP Laserjet fonts?  Does it have down-loadable
> postscript fonts for Laserjet (Series II), or does it generate the fonts
> on the fly as graphics?
>
> Graphics approach would probably be painfully slow, so I hope it's not the
> approach taken.

     For most fonts, information is sent to the printer as graphics.  It can in
some cases take a fair while for the computer to set up the graphics page.
Resolution on the printer depends on what you have set in your printer setup
(75, 150, 300 dpi).  On a Laserjet IIP with no added memory, there isn't enough
memory to do a full page of graphics at 300 dpi.  In this case, the printer
can't print a full page of ATM derived text unless the resolution is set at 150
dpi rather than 300 dpi.  The difference in resolution is unfortunately readily
visible.  However the system is smart enough that if the printed graphics area
is small enough, full resolution can be used.  Thus if your printout has less
than about half or two thirds of a page of ATM derived text, it can be printed
at full resolution.
     An exception is Helvetica 10 and 12, and Times 10 and 12.  These are so
commonly used that ATM provides pre-built downloadable fonts.  The control
panel for ATM has a switch setting which controls whether these are to be used.
If turned on, these fonts will be sent down to the printer as downloadable
fonts rather than graphics.  This of course only works for Laserjet compatible
printers which can use the Laserjet downloadable font format.  Incidentally,
ATM will not run with Windows in real mode.  However in real mode it is
possible to install the downloadable Helvetica and Times fonts through the
control panel, and to use them even when ATM is dead.
--
Bruce Dunn    Vancouver, Canada   Bruce_Dunn@mindlink.bc.ca

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (05/24/91)

In article <HPASANEN.91May21171622@tahma.hut.fi> hpasanen@cs.hut.fi (Harri Pasanen) writes:
->How does Adobe Type Manager do HP Laserjet fonts?  Does it have down-loadable
->postscript fonts for Laserjet (Series II), or does it generate the fonts
->on the fly as graphics?
->
->Graphics approach would probably be painfully slow, so I hope it's not the
->approach taken.
->
->
->Harri Pasanen

ATM does it both ways - it's all selectable by you.