[comp.windows.ms] Unrecoverable application error in Word for Windows

korsberg@aa.ab.com (Ed Korsberg) (05/23/91)

My wife is using Microsoft Word for Windows 1.0 (WFW) and is experiencing
occasional "Unrecoverable Application Error" errors.  This has only
occurred when she is doing something innocuous like Page Up or Page
Down.  I also noticed this happens when WFW first opens a document
and I press Page Up/Down when the hourglass cursor is active.

I have yet to see this behaviour in any Windows program
although I have heard several complaints about this on the net.

My configuration is "vanilla" in the sense that I used the standard
install procedure and have no other funny TSR's running.

My machine is a 386SX with 4mb and a BOCA Research Super VGA card
with 1mb of display memory.  I also have a 4mb permanent swap file
for window's usage.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a workaround?

Ed Korsberg             E-mail: korsberg@aa.ab.com
Allen Bradley Inc.      phone:  313-998-2470
555 Briarwood Circle
Ann Arbor, Mich 48104
--

press@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Barry Press) (05/24/91)

In article <5902@abaa.aa.ab.com> korsberg@aa.ab.com (Ed Korsberg) writes:
>My wife is using Microsoft Word for Windows 1.0 (WFW) and is experiencing
>occasional "Unrecoverable Application Error" errors.  This has only

I found that 1.1 (or, now, 1.1a) was a whole lot more stable.
Try getting the 1.1 update and see if it helps.  Given the rest of your
winapps are stable, I'd want to try this before I started ripping apart
my Windows setup looking for the hidden conflict.

--
Barry Press                                 Internet: press@venice.sedd.trw.com