[comp.windows.ms] ET4000 with more than 32000 colors ?

gallersd@andorfer.fmi.uni-passau.de (Rainer Gallersdoerfer) (05/01/91)

Hello,

somebody told me that it is possible to handle a color resolution of
15 bit (about 32000 colors) with the ET4000 chip - is this true ???

If yes, are there any drivers to use this mode within windows 3.0 ?

There is a 140k sized file in 'tsng4311.zip' - what is it for ?

Thanks in advance

RAINER

#                                                                        #
# Rainer Gallersdoerfer, Siegfriedweg 6, 8480 Weiden i. d. Opf., Germany #
#                                                                        #
# gallersd@andorfer.fmi.uni-passau.de, gallersd@unipas.uucp              #
#                                                                        #

pcampb@shiva.trl.oz (Peter Campbell) (05/02/91)

gallersd@andorfer.fmi.uni-passau.de (Rainer Gallersdoerfer) writes:

>somebody told me that it is possible to handle a color resolution of
>15 bit (about 32000 colors) with the ET4000 chip - is this true ???
IBM are finally getting around to standardizing the VGA graphics modes,
and not before time, seeing as virtually every VGA card uses a different
bunch of commands to work.  This standard will be called XGA.  As well
as the normal 256 colour modes (e.g. 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, etc.)
there is also a 16 bit colour mode (I think 640x480), i.e. 2^16 = 65536
colours.

A Fax I have from Tseng Labs says that their ET4000 chip set already has
the speed and ability (for the 1 MB cards) to handle this standard, and
that they can be upgraded to XGA compatibility with a new DAC chip,
clock chip, and BIOS.  According to the Fax TLI plan to release this
upgrade in "the second quarter of 1991", i.e. April to June.  As far as
I know it isn't out yet (i.e. I haven't heard anything), but I could be
wrong.  If so, please tell me.

Judging by previous Tseng products I believe that this upgrade will
produce a damn good graphics card - it already is, as far as I am
concerned.  I am very happy with the existing TL4000, and I will be
getting the upgrade as soon as I hear about it.  I have no relationship
with TLI other than as a satisfied customer (although if they are
willing to pay me for this ad I won't complain ;-).

>If yes, are there any drivers to use this mode within windows 3.0 ?
I assume that, if it is possible, they will send out a disk with the
drivers when you get the upgrade.  I don't know if it is possible,
however - Windows might have a fit (it generally does, in my experience
;-).  If the drivers are "independent" of Windows I see no problems.

>There is a 140k sized file in 'tsng4311.zip' - what is it for ?
I got the proper disks with the card, and none of them have a file by
this name.  Seeing as you haven't bothered to give the 140K filename, I
suppose I'll have to check all the ones I got. <trudge, trudge, check,
check, mumble, mumble, whirr, whirr :->

The only one I can find near that size is "tlivga4.386" (142K).  This
contains Windows graphics screen drivers for a certain machine type (and
probably display type), and so is useless to you unless you have
a) Windows, b) that machine and display (this is from looking at the
setup.inf file).  The TLI stands for Tseng Labs International, so that's
no help.  Fas as I know, it will be used automatically when you install
Windows and use the Tseng drivers, so otherwise, forget it.

>Thanks in advance
I'd prefer money ;-}

Peter K. Campbell
Email:  p.campbell@trl.oz.au

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (05/03/91)

gallersd@andorfer.fmi.uni-passau.de (Rainer Gallersdoerfer) writes:

>Hello,

>somebody told me that it is possible to handle a color resolution of
>15 bit (about 32000 colors) with the ET4000 chip - is this true ???

Diamond Computer, Sunnyvale, CA, makers of the SpeedSTAR are about to
announce two new cards: the SpeedSTAR CEG and the SpeedSTAR Hi-Color.

The former will have the antialiasing RAMDAC from Edsun and the latter
will support 16bit color and will be able to run 1024x768 at 70Hz
refresh.

For more details, contact Kevin Batt, 408 736-2000 (tell him how you
found out about this...) fax 408-730-5750.

I am just a satisfied curious customer of SpeedSTAR. No business
connections.

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May3.050237.3146@amd.com> indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>The former will have the antialiasing RAMDAC from Edsun and the latter
>will support 16bit color and will be able to run 1024x768 at 70Hz
>refresh.

Does anyone know how to get an Edsun RAMDAC in quantity one (1)?  I have
a Power Graph VGA (ET4000) with is DAC socketted.  I have been told it
will take the Edsun RAMDAC and do anti-aliasing with the proper software
drivers.  Could someone let me know.  Does someone have the Phone number,
for Edsun?

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

jarnot@canisius.UUCP (Dinsdale Piranha) (05/24/91)

In article <1991Apr30.181202.12770@forwiss.uni-passau.de>, gallersd@andorfer.fmi.uni-passau.de (Rainer Gallersdoerfer) writes:

> Hello,
>
> somebody told me that it is possible to handle a color resolution of
> 15 bit (about 32000 colors) with the ET4000 chip - is this true ???

I believe that my Cardinal VGA732 card uses the ET4000 chip.  With 1 meg,
it handles all "standard" VGA modes up to 1024x768x256, PLUS it features
640x480x32767!  Cardinal is coming out with a 800x600x32K model soon (figures,
eh?  Just get the darn card and they improve on it already... ;-)  I've had
little problems with it so far, and Windows look very nice in 32,000+ colors...
No more halftoning when creating colors in drawing packages or in Desktop.
Plus, it comes with a nice utility for displaying 24-bit TARGA files...

Kevin
jarnot@karloff.fstrf.org OR jarnot@klaatu.canisius.edu

--
  ...!{decvax|watmath|allegra|rocksvax}!sunybcs!canisius!jarnot
             jarnot@karloff.fstrf.org OR jarnot@klaatu.canisius.edu