[comp.windows.ms] System locks up in standard mode

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (05/23/91)

Well, here's another strange problem with Win3 that I hope
someone out there can suggest solutions to...

In standard mode my system always locks up whenever I try
to open a DOS application, unless I load ANY windows
application before that.
This does not occur in enhanced mode (I can open any
DOS applications any time).
The system is a 386/25 with 8MB RAM, and himem.sys, ramdrive.sys,
and smartdrv.sys loaded.

Thank you for any suggestion.

--
Victor Menayang         victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Internet)
                                           vm@UTXVM (BITNET)

dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) (05/23/91)

Standard mode and DOS apps don't mix too well I'm afraid. It's due to the
strange memory mapping. Nothing you can do. It's purely a fluke that after
running a Windows program you can run a DOS app.

Cheers,
	Dan C.

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (05/24/91)

In article <37140022@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes:
>Standard mode and DOS apps don't mix too well I'm afraid. It's due to the
>strange memory mapping. Nothing you can do. It's purely a fluke that after
>running a Windows program you can run a DOS app.
>
>Cheers,
>	Dan C.

Well, I still don't know what the real problem is
but increasing system resources (buffers/files) seems
to solve it.

Thanks,
Victor
--

heilper@TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL (Andrei Heilper) (05/25/91)

In article <37140022@hpopd.pwd.hp.com> dcc@hpopd.pwd.hp.com (Daniel Creswell) writes:
>Standard mode and DOS apps don't mix too well I'm afraid. It's due to the
>strange memory mapping. Nothing you can do. It's purely a fluke that after
>running a Windows program you can run a DOS app.
>
>Cheers,
>	Dan C.

I encounter a problem that may be similar and I would like to have
some suggestions. I have a Deico 386 board with 2 WD 80Mb drives.
The system runs fine under DOS 3.3 and in real mode Windows, but it
hanged in 386 enhanced mode. Finally I narrowed the problem by
disconnecting the second disk, which immediately enabled the enhanced
mode (the system has also 8M RAM and a fully populated Trident).
It is really weird (Windows is not supposed to interact with the
hard disk controller...)
	Andrei H.