[comp.windows.ms] MS C6.0 Upgrade Notice

sdw@hpsad.HP.COM (Steve Warwick) (05/07/91)

just got a "maintenence Upgrade Notice" for C6.0 from Our Lady Of
Redmond.  $12.95 Buys you new compiler, with VCPI/DPMI for large
compilations, NEW Codeview - two monitor debugging no longer required
for windows....  New Programmer workbench ( so who uses that thing
anyway? )

What one can infer from a maintenence upgrade notice at this time???

1) Many of us have been waiting for word on MS's response to Borland C++.
   A maintenence upgrade notice might imply that there is no response
   coming soon - if they're playing fair, else, C++ is going to be
   announced in a month, and they're interested in picking up even more money
   by hitting us for both!!! ( your gamble.. )

2) Discussion about OS2/2.0 has been quite positive, still no word on a
   32 bit compiler ( C OR C++.. ) so, same conclusions - don't expect anything
   soon, or let's see if we can get 'em twice....

3) No mention of a windows programming environment or
   in-windows-executable compiler. Slight changes to PWB.
        GOOD MORNING, REDMOND !!!!

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (05/10/91)

In article <4660008@hpsad.HP.COM>,sdw@hpsad.HP.COM (Steve Warwick) writes:
> What one can infer from a maintenence upgrade notice at this time???
>
> 1) Many of us have been waiting for word on MS's response to Borland C++.
>    A maintenence upgrade notice might imply that there is no response
>    coming soon - if they're playing fair, else, C++ is going to be
>    announced in a month, and they're interested in picking up even more money
>    by hitting us for both!!! ( your gamble.. )
> 2) Discussion about OS2/2.0 has been quite positive, still no word on a
>    32 bit compiler ( C OR C++.. ) so, same conclusions - don't expect anything
>    soon, or let's see if we can get 'em twice....

As far as a 32-bit compiler is concerned, I believe they've already written
one.  I heard that in their outrageously-priced ($2600) beta version of the
OS/2 2.0 SDK, they included a compiler called "Microsoft C 5.2" which is
32-bit.

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

jonka@microsoft.UUCP (Jonathan KAGLE) (05/16/91)

In article <4660008@hpsad.HP.COM> sdw@hpsad.HP.COM (Steve Warwick) writes:
>just got a "maintenence Upgrade Notice" for C6.0 from Our Lady Of
>Redmond.  $12.95 Buys you new compiler, with VCPI/DPMI for large
>compilations, NEW Codeview - two monitor debugging no longer required
>for windows....  New Programmer workbench ( so who uses that thing
>anyway? )

Yes this upgrade offer is available to registered C 6.0[a] users.  It's
primarily for Windows programmers or those needing more compiler capacity.
It's a solid upgrade and we've gotten good feedback on it.

>What one can infer from a maintenence upgrade notice at this time???
>1) Many of us have been waiting for word on MS's response to Borland C++.
>   A maintenence upgrade notice might imply that there is no response
>   coming soon - if they're playing fair, else, C++ is going to be
>   announced in a month, and they're interested in picking up even more money
>   by hitting us for both!!! ( your gamble.. )

Oh, yes, Microsoft is going to make tons on a $12.95 upgrade to a $600 product!
This fee has to cover shipping/handling, the mailing to users, and maybe a bit
of programming time :-).  Usually, people are *happy* when we make an effort to
distribute an inexpensive upgrade.  And in general, we don't talk about
unannounced products anymore, wouldn't want to intimidate the competition. :-)

>2) Discussion about OS2/2.0 has been quite positive, still no word on a
>   32 bit compiler ( C OR C++.. ) so, same conclusions - don't expect anything
>   soon, or let's see if we can get 'em twice....

An MS 32-bit compiler ships with the OS/2 2.0 SDK.  I believe that SCO sells a
32-bit XENIX version of our C compiler.  You got another standard 32-bit OS
hanging around?

>3) No mention of a windows programming environment or
>   in-windows-executable compiler. Slight changes to PWB.

Hmm... Borland and Zortech don't seem to have these on their C compilers yet
either.

       -Jonathan

Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not for Microsoft Languages or Bill for that
matter.

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) (05/17/91)

>>just got a "maintenence Upgrade Notice" for C6.0 from Our Lady Of
>>Redmond.  $12.95 Buys you new compiler, with VCPI/DPMI for large
>>compilations, NEW Codeview - two monitor debugging no longer required
>>for windows....  New Programmer workbench ( so who uses that thing
>>anyway? )

>Yes this upgrade offer is available to registered C 6.0[a] users.  It's
>primarily for Windows programmers or those needing more compiler capacity.
>It's a solid upgrade and we've gotten good feedback on it.

OK, guys, full panic mode is starting to set in, here.  I am a registered
MSC 6.0 user, and several months ago ordered and received my 6.00A upgrade
(for $12.95, and I received a pckage with 7 diskettes, shipped FedEx
2nd day air, Saturday delivery - no complaints about that!).  I have
as yet not received any notice about the above upgrade.

Should I be starting to worry?

Also, if anyone has already received this upgrade, will the new single-monitor
CVW work on my XGA-equipped model 80?  If so, will it work while I am using
the XGA drivers, or will I have to switch to the stock VGA drivers to
run CVW?  The latter will be a problem for me - I'd like to add a palette
editor to Winfract, but it will be tough to debug if I can only run CVW
when I'm using a video driver that doesn't support palettes <grin>.

Bert Tyler
bert@helix.nih.gov

sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (mr w.j. ho) (05/17/91)

bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) writes:

>>>just got a "maintenence Upgrade Notice" for C6.0 from Our Lady Of
>>>Redmond.  $12.95 Buys you new compiler, with VCPI/DPMI for large
>>>compilations, NEW Codeview - two monitor debugging no longer required
>>>for windows....  New Programmer workbench ( so who uses that thing
>>>anyway? )

>>Yes this upgrade offer is available to registered C 6.0[a] users.  It's
>>primarily for Windows programmers or those needing more compiler capacity.
>>It's a solid upgrade and we've gotten good feedback on it.

>OK, guys, full panic mode is starting to set in, here.  I am a registered
>MSC 6.0 user, and several months ago ordered and received my 6.00A upgrade
>(for $12.95, and I received a pckage with 7 diskettes, shipped FedEx
>2nd day air, Saturday delivery - no complaints about that!).  I have
>as yet not received any notice about the above upgrade.

  I did not even get an upgrade notice for C 6.0[a] from C 6.0! I heard about
the upgrade from the net and called up Microsoft Aust. in Sydney and they sent
me the upgrade for free ( I bought the compiler < 6 months earlier ).
  It is happening again! I have not heard about upgrade this time. What is the
use of registering if they do not send you anything on upgrades or current
news? I might as well register only when my compiler is out-of-date and get
a free upgrade then!!

   I am thinking of using Borland C++ but is stuck with Microsoft C 'cos the
libraries I have to use for my work is Microsoft C-compatible only! Any possible
solutions?

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^   Wey Jing Ho   Tel: 61-3-5732567   E-mail : sci240s@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au  ^

burleigh@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Frank Burleigh) (05/18/91)

In <1503@nih-csl.nih.gov> bert@helix.nih.gov (Bert Tyler) writes:

>MSC 6.0 user, and several months ago ordered and received my 6.00A upgrade
>(for $12.95, and I received a pckage with 7 diskettes, shipped FedEx
>2nd day air, Saturday delivery - no complaints about that!).  I have
>as yet not received any notice about the above upgrade.

>Should I be starting to worry?

i am in the same situation and asked the same question on CIS.
the answer is that they should just send it to you.  at the
beginning of the week they told me that if i didn't see it in
two weeks, to contact them again.

--
Frank Burleigh  burleigh@cica.cica.indiana.edu
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!cica!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET (Roger Rouse) (05/24/91)

I just received the aforementioned upgrade offer -- and I don't even own
MS C6.0!!!  Sounds like MS has a glitch in their database...

Roger

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (05/25/91)

Roger Rouse <YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET> writes:

>I just received the aforementioned upgrade offer -- and I don't even own
>MS C6.0!!!  Sounds like MS has a glitch in their database...

I haven't yet received the notice (for either my personal copy or the one
the company bought), nor has anyone else in my department...but I have
received two copies of an update form inviting me to be one of the first
in the area to upgrade to Excel 3...

And no, it wasn't the fault of the post office.  The letters were dated 1991.

Joe Morris