[comp.windows.ms] chess.bmp in windows

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (05/25/91)

My 9yr old son used paintbrush and severly modified the
Windows supplied chess.bmp; I called my local vendor and
they said I had to re-install Windows in order to get that
file back. There HAS to be an easier way! Does anyone know how
to rebuild chess.bmp from the installation floppies?

thanks in advance

joec@morgan.com

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (05/25/91)

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:

>My 9yr old son used paintbrush and severly modified the
>Windows supplied chess.bmp; I called my local vendor and
>they said I had to re-install Windows in order to get that
>file back. There HAS to be an easier way! Does anyone know how
>to rebuild chess.bmp from the installation floppies?

Look on your Windows diskettes for the file EXPAND.EXE and copy it
to some convenient place on your hard disk.  Then find the file
CHESS.BMP on the floppies.  With appropriate directory data, issue the
command:

  expand  a:chess.bmp  c:\windows\chess.bmp

As a check, the file on the distribution disk should be 28866 bytes,
and the resulting file in the Windows directory 153718 bytes.

You might also consider changing your local vendor if that's the
support you're getting.

Joe