[comp.windows.ms] Replacing corrupted files

sstrazdu@hopi.intel.com (Stephen Strazdus) (05/26/91)

In article <3406@s5.Morgan.COM> joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:
>My 9yr old son used paintbrush and severly modified the
>Windows supplied chess.bmp; I called my local vendor and
>they said I had to re-install Windows in order to get that
>file back. There HAS to be an easier way! Does anyone know how
>to rebuild chess.bmp from the installation floppies?

I propose the following addition to the FAQ list.

I need to restore file x from the windows 3.0 floppy.  How can I do this
without re-installing windows.

Most of the files on the win 3.0 floppy disks are compressed.  To
uncompress them use expand.exe on disk 2.  This is a DOS program, so run
it from the DOS prompt or chose File/Run in Program Manager.  Copy
expand.exe to your hard drive, insert the disk which contains the
program you wish to restore, and type:

expand a:chess.bmp c:\windows\chess.bmp

substituting the appropriate directories and filenames of course.
Steve Strazdus  |  sstrazdu@hopi.intel.com  |  Insert your favorite .sig here.