[comp.windows.ms] wouldn't it be nice if....

gallo@cs.albany.edu (Andrew Gallo) (05/17/91)

	I'm a casual Win 3.0 user, and plan to buy a new 386 so I can run it.
I use my PC mostly for terminal connections to my university's Unix machines.
	Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way for you to have multiple
widows open on a remote machine, like X allows you to do but via modem.
	Imagine this: a client sits between your terminal program and
your COMM port.  You then open multiple instances of Kermit (or whatever
term program) on your PC.  Every time Kermit tries to write to the
COMM port your client interupts and intercepts the information, decides where
the data came from (each instance of Kermit is given an ID), and encapsulates
a packet.  The packet is sent over modem to a server running on the Unix
machine which maps Window ID's to Unix process ID's (pid's).  The server
would be waiting on /dev/ttyxx for i/o, unpack the packet, determine for
which process the data is intended, and send it down a pipe to that process.
Likewise processes would write to a pipe to the server who would encapsulate
a packet destined for a particular window on the PC side.
	This *should* allow a Windows user to visually and interactively
send/receive i/o from multiple Unix processes, simulating the X functionality.
	There are a couple of problems: bootstrapping (switching from
character transport to packet transport after an initial connect is made),
mapping pid's to Window ID's, catching Kermit's attempt to write to a COMM
port (although I'm sure an interupt handler could be written to do this).

	So I'm asking for your educated opinion - is this doable?  Has
someone beat me to it?  If so, who, and where can I get the program?  If
not, any suggestions on how to implement this design?

	Thanks for input.  If this is not discussion that should be posted
on the net, feel free to send me private email at gallo@cs.albany.edu.

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (05/17/91)

In article <834@hartmanis.albany.edu> gallo@cs.albany.edu (Andrew Gallo) writes:
>	Wouldn't it be nice if there was a way for you to have multiple
>widows open on a remote machine, like X allows you to do but via modem.

Recently (on comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?) the "infamous" UW - PC port was posted.

The features are basically what you describe, but under the "native DOS"
environment.  Whether or not this will run as is under Win3, or more ideally
the author will port it to Win3 are two questions I do not have answers for
... anybody out there know?

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (05/17/91)

In article <834@hartmanis.albany.edu> gallo@cs.albany.edu (Andrew Gallo) writes:
[are there multiwindow Unix terminal programs for Windows3 ?]

I haven't seen a Windows-based version of UnixWindows (which is originally a
Mac-to-Unix protocol), but there is a text-screen based implementation for PCs.
Look at file pd:<msdos.modem>uwpc105.zip on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Would some Windows guru like to implement it for Windows ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

bchen@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bi Chen) (05/20/91)

I wounder if a 2400 bps modem would ever be fast enough to make a 386
an X terminal? Isn't it impossible or is it?

dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) (05/20/91)

bchen@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bi Chen) writes:

>I wounder if a 2400 bps modem would ever be fast enough to make a 386
>an X terminal? Isn't it impossible or is it?

I recall reading that X Windows requires at least a 19.2K serial line to run
at a "just okay" level.  Now since 2400 is approximately eight times slower than
19.2K, you make the decision.  It would be interesting to see X in action
on a 2400 line....

splin@nima.berkeley.edu (Steven Lin) (05/21/91)

In article <8524@uceng.UC.EDU> dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
>bchen@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bi Chen) writes:
>
>>I wounder if a 2400 bps modem would ever be fast enough to make a 386
>>an X terminal? Isn't it impossible or is it?
>
>I recall reading that X Windows requires at least a 19.2K serial line to run
>at a "just okay" level.

Last summer when I was dabbling with SLIP, I decided to see how well
X would run over a serial line.  I connected an X Terminal to a
Sparcstation 1+ through the serial port running at 9600 baud.  The
performance was barely adequate.  Opening and moving windows were intolerably
slow.  The terminal would virtually freeze if it ever required a font that
wasn't present.  I can't imagine what life would be like at 2400 baud.

chris@visionware.co.uk (Chris Davies) (05/21/91)

>bchen@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bi Chen) writes:
>I wounder if a 2400 bps modem would ever be fast enough to make a 386
>an X terminal? Isn't it impossible or is it?

In article <8524@uceng.UC.EDU> dsims@uceng.UC.EDU (david l sims) writes:
>I recall reading that X Windows requires at least a 19.2K serial line to run
>at a "just okay" level.  Now since 2400 is approximately eight times slower than
>19.2K, you make the decision.  It would be interesting to see X in action
>on a 2400 line....

No it wouldn't.  It's about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Chris
--
         VISIONWARE LTD, 57 Cardigan Lane, LEEDS LS4 2LE, England
    Tel +44 532 788858.  Fax +44 532 304676.  Email chris@visionware.co.uk

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (05/22/91)

task in Windows (386 enh mode).  I got this from c.b.i.p a while ago and
asked the author if he was considering a port to Windows.  His response wato say he was waiting on Borland C++ and then Windows would be a happenin thang.
You might want to check with him (I don't remember his name right now -
although I remember he is in Australia).
   Check UWPC out.  It's pretty convenient (I think it even includes the
host for the UNIX side).
--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP

dmoffatt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (David Moffatt) (05/27/91)

In also had the same idea.  I am a computer science student at Indiana
Universtiy and one of the things we have to do is senior projects so
 that is what doing.  So far the program look nothing like what you
described.  I doubt I will ever get anything that would be a useable
also.  But as far as I can see so far it is quit a simple matter to time
slice the serial line useing small packets and giveing priority to
keyboard input.  The way it works in my scheme you can download files in
the background but that is about it.

So far the biggest snafu I have had to deal with are the user commands
like remote dir.  This is not a hard problem it just requires a little
more work than putting the files into packets.

I think when someone comes out with a good program to do this it will
quickly take the market by storm.  But the program has to easly ported
to mainframes and has to use a good scheme of prioritizing.  Also it
will be incompatable with present day stuff or maybe it could be made so
that it worked like a normal com. program until a special command was
gives to spawn additional windows? Oh well ... who knows what may
happen.
		Dave Moffatt
		the hack who is not a geek.