[comp.windows.ms] SMARTDRIVE

fdq@athena.mit.edu (Fred D Quintana) (12/12/90)

Whenever I use smartdrive it seems to hide a large part of my extended
memory from other programs.  I have 5 megs of ram total.  If I run mem with
SmartDrive not installed, it says that I have ~4 megs extended memory.  If
I set smartdrive up to have 1 meg and run mem again it says I have 0 meg
extended memory.  As a result I can't run a DOS application that needs the
extra memory.  It runs without smartdrive installed, but not with it
installed.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this?

| Fred D. Quintana                  \    Never put off till tomorrow what     |
| Internet: <fdq@athena.mit.edu>     \     you can avoid all together.        |
| UUCP:   mit-eddie!mit-athena!fdq    \                                       |

lavigne@canopus.cis.ohio-state.edu (david lavigne) (05/25/91)

	I have RTFM but can't find the answer to my problem.
It seems that SMARTDRIVE takes control of all my Extended memory.
I have the parameters to Smartdirve as:
normal  seven hundred and some odd K
minimum 256K.

	Now when I use the Dos mem command it says I have 1.5M of extented
memory but that 0K is available.  Thus I can't use other programs that need
extended memory, outside of windows.(suchas TD286).  Is there some way to
limit SMARTDRIVE to some particular amount of extended memory?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

			Thanks
				David Lavigne

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (05/25/91)

In article <125305@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> lavigne@canopus.cis.ohio-state.edu (david lavigne) writes:

>	I have RTFM but can't find the answer to my problem.
>It seems that SMARTDRIVE takes control of all my Extended memory.

Actually, it's HIMEM.SYS that's taking all XMS.  I don't know how to
leave some of it for other apps. though.
--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

ebergman@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric Bergman-Terrell) (05/25/91)

What units are you using?  I think that smartdrive interprets its arguments
as kilobytes...

Terrell

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/25/91)

lavigne@canopus.cis.ohio-state.edu (david lavigne) writes:

>	I have RTFM but can't find the answer to my problem.
>It seems that SMARTDRIVE takes control of all my Extended memory.
>I have the parameters to Smartdirve as:
>normal  seven hundred and some odd K
>minimum 256K.
>	Now when I use the Dos mem command it says I have 1.5M of extented
>memory but that 0K is available.  Thus I can't use other programs that need
>extended memory, outside of windows.(suchas TD286).  Is there some way to
>limit SMARTDRIVE to some particular amount of extended memory?

David,

Don't sweat it.  The 0 value you are seeing is what DOS is reporting.  DOS
can use none of that extended memory for itself.  However, programs that
use XMS CAN and WILL when you run them.  SmartDrv is actually taking ~768K
when you're in DOS, and 256 when you run Windows in Enhanced mode.

If you are having trouble running TD286, what is the error message you receive?
If you remove SmartDrv, what happens?
If you can run TD286 without SmartDrv, try replacing SmartDrv with a lower
Maximum value; try incremental reductions of 16K until TD runs.

Remember, that memory IS there to be used, it's just that DOS can't use it
and it is therefore "unusable"

Andrew
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu
Andrew BW Colfelt
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu____________________________________________________

chinkao@boole.seas.ucla.edu (Chin C. Kao) (05/28/91)

I used to have the same problem except that it was Lotus 1-2-3 Rel. 3 that
couldn't run because of 0 K extended memory.  I assume you must be using
DOS at least DOS 4.0 and the SMARTDRV.SYS that comes with Windows 3.0.
What I did was to use the SMARTDRV.SYS that comes with DOS.  If you do that
DOS' mem command will report the correct extended memory size, at leas on
my machine it did.  However, after running Windows, the extended memory
size my return to 0 K but I could still run Lotus 1-2-3 even though DOS'
mem command reported 0 K.  DOS' SMARTDRV.SYS doesn't support two parameters
like Windows' SMARTDRV.SYS so you have to set a maximum but not a minimum
for SMARTDRV.  I benchmarked my system using Windows' SMARTDRV and DOS'
SMARTDRV and DOS' SMARTDRV was slightly slower but is worth switching to
if you want to use other extended memory programs besides Windows.