[comp.windows.ms] NCACHE-F REGISTER

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (05/28/91)

In an article markv@hls.com wrote:
>The
>realy weird thing is that it feels like an intermittent problem - I reboot,
>load the network stuff, start windows - boom. Reboot etc.. and windows
>works ... for a while, then boom. Reboot etc, and windows stays up all day-
>or not. So how do you get intermittent problems with software???

Maybe it's hardware.  I used to have really wierd problems that looked
like system software bugs in memoery allocation.  Then one day the weather
was really warm, and suddenly I couldn't do anything.  Everything that
I tried crashed.  Then I got to thinking, maybe the warm weather is causing
memory to show up a weak chip.

Rather than panic, I started fiddling around with the settings on the
C&T setup screen, and I changed the memory from 0 to 1 wait states.
Voila, the problem disappeared.  I am running a 25mhz 386 and my memory
is 80 ns.  I suppose I should have 70 ns chips if I want 0 wait states.
The benchmark performance was definitely better with 0 wait states.

--
John Dudeck                                              "You can only push
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu                             simplicity so far."