[comp.windows.ms] PostScript interpreters under Windows

allred@bongo.cc.utexas.edu (Kevin L. Allred) (05/17/91)

I know that there are a few PostScript interpreters out there that run
under DOS and use XMS/EMS to construct the ~1MB bit map needed to
print out 300 DPI on non PS laserprinters and dot matrix printers.
GoScript and UltraScript are two that I remember reading about.  Are
there any similar products available yet that are designed to work
with windows?
--
	Kevin Allred
	Department of Chemical Engineering

glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) (05/18/91)

allred@bongo.cc.utexas.edu (Kevin L. Allred) writes:

>I know that there are a few PostScript interpreters out there that run
>under DOS and use XMS/EMS to construct the ~1MB bit map needed to
>print out 300 DPI on non PS laserprinters and dot matrix printers.
>GoScript and UltraScript are two that I remember reading about.  Are
>there any similar products available yet that are designed to work
>with windows?
>--

UltraScript Version 2.3 works with Windows 3.0.  You can use the DOS TSR or
run the interpreter directly as a Windows Application in Standard or Enhanced
modes.

Glenn Boozer    glenn@imagen.com
QMS  (PostScript is what we do best)

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) (05/20/91)

The documentation for Ultrascript contains a chapter that describes
how to use this product with Windows.  I haven't used it with Windows
myself, but their documentation says it will work.

Frank Calloway

dave@kharma (05/23/91)

calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) writes:

> The documentation for Ultrascript contains a chapter that describes
> how to use this product with Windows.  I haven't used it with Windows
> myself, but their documentation says it will work.
>
> Frank Calloway

If the version of Ultrascript you are using is different from the one we have
tested, this may not apply. However, unless Ultrascript has updated their
drivers, the product *will not* work in enhanced mode. It does, however, work
in 286 mode OK. Just figure that if you are going to run it, that you had
better put some money away for RAM chips, as it is a memory hog.
Other than that, the product works as described with our HP Series II. The
postscript emulation is excellent, although we decided not to use the print
spooler feature after it had problems with MainLan.

isc-br!tau-ceti!dogear!kharma!dave [dave@kharma] Dave Laird, SysOp: kharma
    The Computer Concern,  Springdale, WA  258-7109 or 1-800-786-7109
  kharma: 509-233-8474 (Local from Spokane Area)  24hrs  1200-14400 (HST)

glenn@imagen.com (glenn boozer) (05/28/91)

dave@kharma writes:

>calloway@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Frank Calloway) writes:

>> The documentation for Ultrascript contains a chapter that describes
>> how to use this product with Windows.  I haven't used it with Windows
>> myself, but their documentation says it will work.
>>
>> Frank Calloway

>If the version of Ultrascript you are using is different from the one we have
>tested, this may not apply. However, unless Ultrascript has updated their
>drivers, the product *will not* work in enhanced mode. It does, however, work
>in 286 mode OK. Just figure that if you are going to run it, that you had
>better put some money away for RAM chips, as it is a memory hog.
>Other than that, the product works as described with our HP Series II. The
>postscript emulation is excellent, although we decided not to use the print
>spooler feature after it had problems with MainLan.

UltraScript Version 2.3 DOES work in Enhanced Mode!

For good perfoamance, you need no more memory then Windows 3.0 wants
for ok performance.  Both UltraScript and Windows do not perform well
with just 1 meg of ram.  If you can run Windows in Enhanced mode, you
can easily run UltraScript PC Version 2.3 also.

G. Boozewr
QMS
glenn@imagen.com