[comp.windows.ms] accessing com3 or com4 from terminal

axa12@po.CWRU.Edu (Ashok Aiyar) (05/29/91)

The subject says it all.  How do I access com3 or com4 from terminal.

Thanks!

Ashok Aiyar
--
Ashok Aiyar
axa12@po.cwru.edu

chenh@athena.ecs.csus.edu ( h philip chen ) (05/29/91)

axa12@po.CWRU.Edu (Ashok Aiyar) writes:
>The subject says it all.  How do I access com3 or com4 from terminal.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ashok Aiyar
>--
>Ashok Aiyar
>axa12@po.cwru.edu
>aiyar@cwbio.bioc.cwru.edu

Try this...

Add the info below to your SYSTEM.INI file, under the "[386Enh]" (or
"[standard]") section.  Basically put it in the _same section_ where
all the other info such as keyboard=*.. or mouse=*.. can be found.
Here's the additions:

COM1Base=3f8h
COM2Base=2f8h
COM3Base=3e8h
COM4Base=2e8h
COM1Irq=4
COM2Irq=3
COM3Irq=4
COM4Irq=3
Com1AutoAssign=0
Com2AutoAssign=0
Com3AutoAssign=0
Com4AutoAssign=0
ComIrqSharing=1

Next, exit Windows to dos and restart.  Select the correct port (com3 or 4)
and try to dial out.  If you can hear the dial tones from the modem, then
you're all set!  If you don't hear the tones, then exit windows and restart
in the standard mode (win /s) (or real mode (win /r)).

Hope this helps a little...

-philip chenh@athena.ecs.csus.edu

PS.  If you're running in the enhanced mode (& the modem dials out ok), but
     later hangs up after it's connected to the Vax/BBS/etc, exit to dos and
     restart in the standard (or real) mode.