[comp.windows.ms] Wyse 286/386 vs Windows 3.0

markv@hls.com (05/28/91)

In article <1112@stewart.UUCP>, jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) writes:

> Hello.  Does anyone have a Wyse machine working with Windows 3.0?
> I'm trying to use a Wyse pc286 Model 2108, but the keyboard is all
> screwed up in Windows.  Sometimes you have to press a key three or
> four times before it registers, and sometimes the keyboard just locks
> up and all the keyboard lights go on.  Can anyone help?  By the way,
> this is a 102-key enhanced keyboard connected to the Wyse CPU card
> via one of those telephone-style connectors.  There was no such problem
> with Windows 2.x.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> -- ...

I have a Wyse 3216 at home. This is a 386 16 Mhz. I can run windows on it,
but I, too, have problems. They are different, in that the keyboard works
fine with windows, but windows itself is only reliable in real mode. In
either standard or enhanced I get on OK until memory starts being swapped.
Then there is an UAE, and it is shutdown and reboot time. This happens no
matter whether I use Himem or Qemm386 v5.12.

However, the original query was relating the keyboard - when I installed
Win 3.0, it didn't recognise my keyboard ( a 101 enhanced UK style ) and
put me down for US 82 ( or whatever ). I convinced windows that I had a
UK 101 Enh using setup and control panel ( I think ). That seems to work.
I do notice, however, that all the leds occasionally come on briefly - for
no reason that I can figure out.

To sum up, I beleive that Wyse have in the past done their own thing
regarding Keyboard BIOS and BIOS, and that is our problem. So my advice
is to investigate getting an updated Keyboard BIOS and BIOS rom set from
Wyse. I have their number down as (408) 473 1200.

Hope this helps,
--
Mark van der Pol | "We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty"
 markv@hls.com   |Vroom Vrondel, spokesman for the association of Sages, Illum-

BL.JPL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jonathan Lavigne) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.083027.148@hls.com>,
markv@hls.com writes:
>In article <1112@stewart.UUCP>, jerry@polygen.uucp (Jerry Shekhel) writes:
>>
>> Hello.  Does anyone have a Wyse machine working with Windows 3.0?
>> I'm trying to use a Wyse pc286 Model 2108, but the keyboard is all
>> screwed up in Windows.  Sometimes you have to press a key three or
>> -- ...
>To sum up, I beleive that Wyse have in the past done their own thing
>regarding Keyboard BIOS and BIOS, and that is our problem. So my advice
>is to investigate getting an updated Keyboard BIOS and BIOS rom set from
>Wyse. I have their number down as (408) 473 1200.

I just set up Windows 3.0 on my Wyse 286 2200. Wyse Tech Support
told me my machine needed a ROM BIOS upgrade and a keyboard
BIOS chip upgrade. I installed the necessary chips and Windows runs.
The installation program still didn't recognize my 101 key keyboard,
though. You can of course choose the correct keyboard manually when
you run the installation program.

Another thing to watch out for. SMARTDRIVE doesn't like the large
hard disk partition you can set up using Wyse's DOS (the original
3.1 DOS -- I didn't reformat my disk when I installed DOS 3.3, which
comes with the ROM BIOS upgrade kit.) Luckily, I found out about the
problem before too much data got trashed, but not before SMARTDRIVE
clobbered the COMMAND.COM on my hard disk.

I was fairly impressed with the help I got from Wyse technical
support. Although it would have been nicer not to have needed their
help. Maybe the moral is that you'd better be prepared to get to
know a lot about your system if you're trying to install Window's
3.0 on a Wyse 286.

Jonathan Lavigne                 BL.JPL@RLG.STANFORD.EDU
Research Libraries Group
Stanford University