[comp.windows.ms] Paintjet/Win=NO Paintjet/Dos=YES ???

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) (05/24/91)

I am unable to print to a HP Paintjet or an HP7550 plotter from
Windows 3 applications.  I CAN print to these printers from DOS.

When attempting to print to the Paintjet from a Win app, Windows
acts like everything is just fine, no error messages or anything,
but it seems like nothing is even getting to the spooler.

These printers are set up as LPT3 on our lan.  A coworker had the
exact same problem when he tried accessing the Paintjet today.
(He uses just Win 3, I use NewWave).

Again the printer works fine when accessed form a DOS app.  I can
print fine on a local printer and a lan LaserJet 2000 from windows
applications.

Anyone know what the problem is?

craick@titan.trl.OZ.AU (John Craick) (05/24/91)

bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) writes:

>I am unable to print to a HP Paintjet or an HP7550 plotter from
>Windows 3 applications.  I CAN print to these printers from DOS.

>These printers are set up as LPT3 on our lan.  A coworker had the
>exact same problem when he tried accessing the Paintjet today.
>(He uses just Win 3, I use NewWave).

>Again the printer works fine when accessed form a DOS app.  I can
>print fine on a local printer and a lan LaserJet 2000 from windows
>applications.

>Anyone know what the problem is?

My apologies if you already know all this.

To print to a network mounted printer in Windows, generally you must
attach the printer, not to LPTx:= but to LPTx.OS2= (note - no : )

Even then, you may need to tinker with win.ini or sys.ini to make it
know about LPT3, LPT4 as opposed to LPT1, LPT2.

The one thing that's a little puzzling is why you can print to a net
mounted LaserJet 2000. IF this is the problem THEN the LaserJet
shouldn't work either.

Hope this helps a little.

John Craick
Telecom Research, Melbourne, Oz
j.craick@trl.oz.au

nate@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Nathan Berg) (05/28/91)

> I am unable to print to a HP Paintjet or an HP7550 plotter from
> Windows 3 applications.  I CAN print to these printers from DOS.
>
> When attempting to print to the Paintjet from a Win app, Windows
> acts like everything is just fine, no error messages or anything,
> but it seems like nothing is even getting to the spooler.

There is an option in the paintjet driver to do 'direct LPT printing',
which must be manually turned off to print to a LAN or HP-IB or anything
other than a real LPT port.  Go into control panel, select your printer,
select configure, setup, options (something like that anyway...) and
turn off the direct lpt printing option.

The other thing that can go wrong and show these symptoms is when
Windows thinks it can talk directly to your hardware (i.e. lpt3)
instead of going through the device driver (i.e. LAN).  To trick
windows into talking to the device driver instead of your hardware,
'connect' your printer to LPT3.PRN= instead of LPT3:=

One last comment - make sure you do not have more than 10 entries
in the [ports] section of your WIN.INI file.  Windows will not
complain, but entries after the 10th will not necessarily work
properly.  This is actually hidden deep in one of the .TXT files
windows installs.  Funny - the default windows setup contains
more than 10 entries...

Hope this helps -
Nathan
Nathan Berg                              Measurement Systems Operation R&D Lab
nathan_berg@hpisla.lvld.hp.com           Hewlett-Packard, CU-325
[ihnp4|hplabs]!hpislx!nate               815 14th Street Southwest
(303) 679-2424                           P.O. Box 301
FAX (303) 679-5957                       Loveland, CO  80537  USA

tftfm@acad3.alaska.edu (MCGRANE TOM F) (05/29/91)

In article <10730015@hpspkla.spk.hp.com>, bollard@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Lee M. Bollard) writes...
>I am unable to print to a HP Paintjet or an HP7550 plotter from
>Windows 3 applications.  I CAN print to these printers from DOS.
>
>When attempting to print to the Paintjet from a Win app, Windows
>acts like everything is just fine, no error messages or anything,
>but it seems like nothing is even getting to the spooler.
>
>These printers are set up as LPT3 on our lan.  A coworker had the
>exact same problem when he tried accessing the Paintjet today.
>(He uses just Win 3, I use NewWave).
>
>Again the printer works fine when accessed form a DOS app.  I can
>print fine on a local printer and a lan LaserJet 2000 from windows
>applications.
>
>Anyone know what the problem is?
HP has a Win 3 driver for the PaintJet that replaces the one that comes with
Windows.  The newest that I've seen is version 1.01.  It works fine with a
non-networked setup.  It includes some OK screen and printer fonts.