[comp.windows.ms] How to UnMinimize Program Manager

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) (05/08/91)

I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
way to reverse this?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

bjorn@valhalla.esd.sgi.com (Bjorn Lindstrom) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.172619.14418@mccc.edu>, pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
|> I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
|> minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
|> WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
|> way to reverse this?
|>
|> Thanks,
|> Pete
|> --
|> Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
|> Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
|> UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
|> Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91

Check the WIN.INI for a line that says: Run=

It should be near the top of the file.  If there is anything in there, the
program manager will be minimized ** IF ** the program manager has the option
"Minimize on Run" (or something like that) set on (checked).  If this
combination is not set up on your system, then try this:

When you exit Windows, make sure the Program Manager is set up the way you
want it to look when you restart windows later...  then Exit Windows, and
make sure the "Save Current Settings" (or whatever it's called) prompt is
checked with an "X" in the box.  This will bring it up the way you want
every time, ** UNTIL ** you exit with that "X" in the box with the Program
Manager different.

Good luck!

Bjorn

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.172619.14418@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
>minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
>WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
>way to reverse this?

				1) Maximize program manager
				2) Choose File->Exit Windows
				3) Check the Save Changes Checkbox
				4) Click OK
				5) The next time you exit windows ,
uncheck save changes .

--
       @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
       @     "Imagination keeps the shadows away  -  Xymox      @

) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May7.172619.14418@mccc.edu>, pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
> minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
> WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
> way to reverse this?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
> --
> Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
> Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
> UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
> Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91
There's two ways to correct this problem:

a) Change from
	MinOnRun = 1
	MinOnRun = 0

b) Exit Windows from Program Manager and deselect the option to Minimize on
   Run.
| Santanu Sircar                               BITNET:   ssircar@umaecs.bitnet |
| University of Massachusetts/Amherst          INTERNET: ssircar@ecs.umass.edu |

tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) (05/10/91)

cms2839@isc.rit.edu (a.stranger) writes:

>In article <1991May7.172619.14418@mccc.edu> pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>>I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
>>minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
>>WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
>>way to reverse this?

>				1) Maximize program manager
>				2) Choose File->Exit Windows
>				3) Check the Save Changes Checkbox
>				4) Click OK
>				5) The next time you exit windows ,
>uncheck save changes .

That won't do it.  What is most likely happening (99.999% sure) is that
Peter has the Options/Minimize on Use checked.  So when you start an app
from the PM it will automatically minimize itself (PM that is).  You
probably also have entries in the win.ini for the load= and run= lines.
If you want to have the PM Minimize on Use when you start an app, you
will have to live with windows starting up with the PM minimized.

Tim Forsyth
--
Tim Forsyth, Intel Corp., Desktop Computer Division, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Internet: tim@int13.intel.com or Tim_Forsyth@ccm.hf.intel.com

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/11/91)

=
=				1) Maximize program manager
=				2) Choose File->Exit Windows
=				3) Check the Save Changes Checkbox
=				4) Click OK
=				5) The next time you exit windows ,
=uncheck save changes .

Thanks, Stranger.  You're shore welcum in these heer parts!  ;-)

Oh, what I had done wrong was to have a "run=saver.exe" line in WIN.INI.

Pete
--

paul@xcluud.sccsi.com (Paul Hutmacher) (05/11/91)

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:

> I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
> minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
> WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
> way to reverse this?

If you don't have PM in your load= line in wini.ini then you might look at how
PM looks when you exit windows.  I seem to recall that I saved settings upon
exit and left mine in a minimized state since I like to startup that way.

Cheers!

Paul Hutmacher           | "Just like Rome we fell asleep when we got spoiled.
paul@xcluud.sccsi.com    |  Ignore human rights in the rest of the world ya
uunet!nuchat!xcluud!paul |  might just lose your own." -- Jello Biafra & DOA

smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May7.172619.14418@mccc.edu>, pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
> I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
> minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
> WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
> way to reverse this?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
> --
> Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
> Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
> UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
> Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91
--
I have read Pete's message and the corresponding responses.  I am
having the same problem and have tried to change my MinOnUse setting

I DO run a software package via the 'run=' command of the Win.Ini
script.  I am tracking to see if this software is shrinking the
ProgMan. I will let you know.

Phil Smith			BITNET:		Smith@Marshall
Senior Systems Analyst		Internet:	Smith@Marshall.edu
Marshall University				Smith@Marshall.wvnet.edu
University Computer Center	Phone/voice:	(304) 696-2591
Prichard Hall			FAX:		(304) 696-3601
Huntington, WV  25755-5320

pjh@mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May9.184526.2285@int13.hf.intel.com> tim@int13.hf.intel.com (Timothy E. Forsyth) writes:
=That won't do it.  What is most likely happening (99.999% sure) is that
=Peter has the Options/Minimize on Use checked.

Tch, tch, tch!  Here's old 0.001 responding!  ;-)

=You
=probably also have entries in the win.ini for the load= and run= lines.
                                                   XXXXX     ^^^^
                                                   wrong     right!

Thanks!

Pete

--
Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/??-??/92

c60c-2ij@e260-4d.berkeley.edu (Seg fault) (05/14/91)

In article <47416@muvms3.bitnet> smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) writes:
>In article <1991May7.172619.14418@mccc.edu>, pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>> I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
>> minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
>> WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
>> way to reverse this?

>I have read Pete's message and the corresponding responses.  I am
>having the same problem and have tried to change my MinOnUse setting
>for the program manager. I also do 'Save Changes' when I exit windows,
>(with the ProgMan expanded) but to no avail. I think our problem is
>more esoteric than this.
>

>I DO run a software package via the 'run=' command of the Win.Ini
>script.  I am tracking to see if this software is shrinking the
>ProgMan. I will let you know.

>Phil Smith			BITNET:		Smith@Marshall
>Senior Systems Analyst		Internet:	Smith@Marshall.edu
>Marshall University				Smith@Marshall.wvnet.edu
>University Computer Center	Phone/voice:	(304) 696-2591
>Prichard Hall			FAX:		(304) 696-3601
>Huntington, WV  25755-5320

I think your problem lies in the way Windows defaults works.

If the lines "load=" and "run=" contain nothing, Windows defaults to
PROGMAN.EXE and processes it according to the value of the MinOnUse
setting. However, if any of those lines (load= & run=) DO contain anything,
windows just loads or runs those apps and DOES NOT do anything with progman.exe
and hence, the MinOnUse does not play a role. In order to, run progman, you
need to explicitly specify progman.exe alongwith whatever other app you use.

Gunjan Bhow

gunjan@garnet.berkeley.edu

"Please bear with me, my mind has an access time of only 100ms."

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (05/19/91)

In article <1991May14.080718.4478@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-2ij@e260-4d.berkeley.edu (Seg fault) writes:
>In article <47416@muvms3.bitnet> smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) writes:
>>In article <1991May7.172619.14418@mccc.edu>, pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>>> I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
>>> minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
>>> WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
>>> way to reverse this?
>
>>I have read Pete's message and the corresponding responses.  I am
>>having the same problem and have tried to change my MinOnUse setting
>>for the program manager. I also do 'Save Changes' when I exit windows,
>>(with the ProgMan expanded) but to no avail. I think our problem is
>>more esoteric than this.
>>

>>I DO run a software package via the 'run=' command of the Win.Ini
>
>I think your problem lies in the way Windows defaults works.
>
>If the lines "load=" and "run=" contain nothing, Windows defaults to
>PROGMAN.EXE and processes it according to the value of the MinOnUse
>setting. However, if any of those lines (load= & run=) DO contain anything,
>windows just loads or runs those apps and DOES NOT do anything with progman.exe
>and hence, the MinOnUse does not play a role. In order to, run progman, you
>need to explicitly specify progman.exe alongwith whatever other app you use.

I have the same problem. Progman.exe comes up as an icon. Is there
ANY fix for this? If not, this is a genuine bug in Windows.

Anybody out there know the real answer??? Is it possible to not have
progman minimized (with a run=something in win.ini)?

Doug McDonald

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (05/19/91)

This thread is getting very confusing.
As far as I have experienced, here is what happens.
If I have a program such as USHER.EXE in the "run=" line, Progman
comes up minimized and the program runs in a window (or, in usher's
case, it just runs.)
If I have a program on the "load=" line, however, it comes up as an
icon and Progman comes up maximized.  This is how I run Clock,
Calculator, File Manager, and Screen Peace, and also Usher.  They all
come up as icons. (except usher, which just works.)

I would guess that the way to run Progman and another program in a
window is to specify Progman as the last program on the "run=" line.

Adam ELman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May19.011654.29323@leland.Stanford.EDU> elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) writes:
>This thread is getting very confusing.
>As far as I have experienced, here is what happens.
>If I have a program such as USHER.EXE in the "run=" line, Progman
>comes up minimized and the program runs in a window (or, in usher's
>case, it just runs.)
>[]
>I would guess that the way to run Progman and another program in a
>window is to specify Progman as the last program on the "run=" line.

My $0.02:

First I think that the suggestion above won't work. If you have
progman minimized, and issue a run progman (I did this through usher),
progman stays iconized. (A second copy does not run.)

One of my machines is set up with usher as the shell, and has progman
in the run line. This has the advantage of getting windows to start up
with progman as a window. The drawback is that on quitting windows,
the new things in progman are not saved (though I am not 100% sure of
this.) I suppose that the same effect would be obtained by making
winfile the shell, and setting run= to include progman.

kartik
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

cballen@hubcap.clemson.edu (charles allen) (05/21/91)

> I think your problem lies in the way Windows defaults works.
>
> If the lines "load=" and "run=" contain nothing, Windows defaults to
> PROGMAN.EXE and processes it according to the value of the MinOnUse
> setting. However, if any of those lines (load= & run=) DO contain anything,
> windows just loads or runs those apps and DOES NOT do anything with progman.exe
> and hence, the MinOnUse does not play a role. In order to, run progman, you
> need to explicitly specify progman.exe alongwith whatever other app you use.

> Gunjan Bhow
>
> gunjan@garnet.berkeley.edu
SORRY!!!   But this actually is what CAUSED progman to come up minimized when
I added PROGMAN.EXE to either the run= or load=  lines in WIN.INI
I concluded that you simply don't put progman.exe in either of those lines.
Charles A.  Clemson U.

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (05/22/91)

pjh@mccc.edu (Peter J. Holsberg) writes:
>I don't know what I did but every time I enter WIN, PM comes up
>minimized and I would like it to come up maximized.  I've looked through
>WINI.INI and SYSTEM.INI and come up with zilch.  Can anyone suggest a
>way to reverse this?
>
>Thanks,
>Pete

It is interesting that Microsoft failed to document this phenomenon in
the manual, and also left the explanation out of the WININI.TXT
supplement.  I happened on this when I tried installing "SCREENPEACE"
(SP).

I followed the directions in the installation package for SP, adding the
line
     run=SAVER.EXE

to the WIN.INI file.  The next time I started WIN3, PM was minimized.
So, I deleted the above line from WIN.INI and tried

     load=SAVER.EXE

in its stead.  Poof!  PM was no longer minimized on starting WIN3.  So,
it seems that these two WIN.INI commands have unique properties.  "run="
is designed to hand over control to an application (thus putting PM in
the background) while "load=" will put the application in the
background.

DISCLAIMER:  The above observations are based on an empirical experiment
with a sample size of one.  Since statistical significance is lacking,
your mileage may vary.
Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (05/29/91)

This is simple, really.  There isn't any bug, and there isn't any
complicated routine to go through.

1.  The "run=" command in win.ini is designed to run a program when
Win3 starts.  If you use this command, you are running the program
outside of Program Manager, so naturally ProgMan is minimized because it
is in the background and your other program has the floor.  (If the
program you run is something like ScreenPeace or Idlewild (screen
savers), then that program will also be minimized waiting for its
"trigger.")

2.  The "load=" command runs a program through ProgMan, so here the
performance varies.  If you selected "Minimize on Run" for ProgMan, then
it will be minimized because you are running an application.  Otherwise,
the application will come up on top of ProgMan just like usual.  (Again,
screen savers will be minimized waiting for the "trigger.")

So, if you want ProgMan "UnMinimized" at the start, then use "load="
inst.  I had sent this observation to Pete last week, but he
obviously has not yet summarized any replies he received.  For that
reason, I am posting this to try to quell the wave of "me toos" :-)

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

brianb@natinst.com (Brian Bloom) (05/29/91)

Unless I misunderstand the problem about ProgMan starting up minimized,
shouldn't all that's necessary be to Exit Windows, with Save Changes, while
ProgMan is maximized or in a window?  I thought that would bring it
up open every time WIN is run...
Correct me if I'm wrong.... (No Flames!)
Brian Bloom
brianb@natinst.com