[comp.windows.ms] Adding an icon

cbishop@zeus (05/22/91)

I installed Procomm Plus on my PC (386SX-16) and added the application
to Windows.  I decided to replace the telephone type icon with an
icon that I had from an icon library.  Using the Program Manager, I was
able to add the icon to the Group Window and it turn out right.  However,
if the application is running and I Minimize it to sit on the desk top,
the icon appears as a DOS icon.

Did I miss something?  What do I have to do to make this Minimized icon
look like the icon I added?

Chuck

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.123750.1@zeus> cbishop@zeus writes:

   I installed Procomm Plus on my PC (386SX-16) and added the application
   to Windows.  I decided to replace the telephone type icon with an
   icon that I had from an icon library.  Using the Program Manager, I was
   able to add the icon to the Group Window and it turn out right.  However,
   if the application is running and I Minimize it to sit on the desk top,
   the icon appears as a DOS icon.

   Did I miss something?  What do I have to do to make this Minimized icon
   look like the icon I added?

   Chuck

Well, here goes my understanding.  A program can have two types of
icons associated with it.  The first is the one you see in the program
manager.  You get this when you install a program when the program
manager reads the icon out of the .exe file, or when you change the
icon in the program manager.  I'll bet that they are stored in the
.grp files, but I'm not sure.  The second type of icon is actually
stored in the .exe file.  This is the icon which is displayed when the
program is minimized.  A program can change the icon which it uses as
well.  To change this icon you either have to have all of the source
and rebuild it from that source, or, you can edit the resources
(icons, bitmaps, dialogs, and such) using something such as the White
Water ToolKit.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.123750.1@zeus> cbishop@zeus writes:

>I installed Procomm Plus on my PC (386SX-16) and added the application
>to Windows.  I decided to replace the telephone type icon with an
>icon that I had from an icon library.  Using the Program Manager, I was
>able to add the icon to the Group Window and it turn out right.  However,
>if the application is running and I Minimize it to sit on the desk top,
>the icon appears as a DOS icon.
>
>Did I miss something?  What do I have to do to make this Minimized icon
>look like the icon I added?

The icon which appears in the Program Manager is essentially unrelated
to the one displayed when an application's window is minimized.  The
Program Manager stores an icon in its .GRP file; by default this is
the first one it finds in the .exe file, but you can easily change it,
as you did.  The one displayed when the application is running is
explicitly loaded from the .exe when the program runs.  To change this,
you must use a resource editor program.  I don't have one, except for
some experimental stuff I have written; I think hDC sells one.
--
Kent Forschmiedt ... kentfo@polari ... uw-beaver!sumax!polari!kentfo

toma@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.123750.1@zeus> cbishop@zeus writes:
>[...] Using the Program Manager, I was
>able to add the icon to the Group Window and it turn out right.  However,
>if the application is running and I Minimize it to sit on the desk top,
>the icon appears as a DOS icon.

You need to get the program ifix10 (Icon Fixer) from cica. Without this
handy program all DOS apps minimize to the "DOS" icon.

Tom Almy
toma@sail.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

--

zrra07@trc.amoco.com (Randall R. Appleton) (05/27/91)

In article <4189@polari.UUCP>, kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:
|> In article <1991May22.123750.1@zeus> cbishop@zeus writes:
|> >
|> >I installed Procomm Plus on my PC (386SX-16) and added the application
|> >to Windows.  I decided to replace the telephone type icon with an
|> >icon that I had from an icon library.  Using the Program Manager, I was
|> >able to add the icon to the Group Window and it turn out right.  However,
|> >if the application is running and I Minimize it to sit on the desk top,
|> >the icon appears as a DOS icon.
|> >
|> >Did I miss something?  What do I have to do to make this Minimized icon
|> >look like the icon I added?
|>
|> The icon which appears in the Program Manager is essentially unrelated
|> to the one displayed when an application's window is minimized.  The
|> Program Manager stores an icon in its .GRP file; by default this is
|> the first one it finds in the .exe file, but you can easily change it,
|> as you did.  The one displayed when the application is running is
|> explicitly loaded from the .exe when the program runs.  To change this,
|> you must use a resource editor program.  I don't have one, except for
|> some experimental stuff I have written; I think hDC sells one.
|> --
|> Kent Forschmiedt ... kentfo@polari ... uw-beaver!sumax!polari!kentfo

There is a program called NODOS.zip that will do esacly what you want.  You tell it the file to work with, and the icon to display when it is iconized, and it will do it.  It works with normal dos programs, bat files, and even zip files.  I'd try
	cica.cica.indiana.edu /pub/pc/win3
for it.

Now, to all you techies, *HOW* does it do it?  I'm mistified.

-Thanks
-Randy

George Washington and Abe Lincoln did not go to college.
Dan Quayle went to college.
Why am I in grad school?

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (05/29/91)

In article <4189@polari.UUCP> kentfo@polari.UUCP (Kent Forschmiedt) writes:
>In article <1991May22.123750.1@zeus> cbishop@zeus writes:
>>
>>I installed Procomm Plus on my PC (386SX-16) and added the application
>>to Windows.  I decided to replace the telephone type icon with an
>>icon that I had from an icon library.  Using the Program Manager, I was
>>able to add the icon to the Group Window and it turn out right.  However,
>>if the application is running and I Minimize it to sit on the desk top,
>>the icon appears as a DOS icon.
>>

>The icon which appears in the Program Manager is essentially unrelated
>to the one displayed when an application's window is minimized.  The
>Program Manager stores an icon in its .GRP file; by default this is
>the first one it finds in the .exe file, but you can easily change it,
>as you did.  The one displayed when the application is running is
>explicitly loaded from the .exe when the program runs.  To change this,
>you must use a resource editor program.  I don't have one, except for
>some experimental stuff I have written; I think hDC sells one.

Almost correct, Kent!  The clincher is that Procomm Plus is a DOS app,
not a windows app.  What you have said is only true for windows apps.
With a DOS app, you are allowed to change the icon that PM displays in
the group window.  (BTW, PC+ 2.0 has a nice icon included in the package
that you can use.)  But when you minimize a DOS app, there isn't any
icon resource in the .exe file!  ProgMan then takes the old clunky
default icon and sticks on your wallpaper.  This fact is stated in the
Friendly Manual, but I am too befuddled to find the page # right now.
:-).

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */