[comp.windows.ms] WinGIF Problems

liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) (03/16/91)

I am having some strange problems with WinGIF.  First some background:

I'm running windows 3.0 on a 386-33 (mylex mb), with 8mb ram and a 170 mb
scsi.  I just upgraded from ega to an Orchid Pro II and a Sony 1304 (lovely
combination I might add).  Anyway... on with my problem.  I reinstalled
windows from my orig. disks because I had swapfile problems (after deleting
my permanant swapfile, it wouldn't let me run a dos shell or any dos
program), and configured windows for 800x600x256.  When I open a gif file
in WinGIF, it opens it upside-down!  It actually reads it upside-down to
the screen (you can watch it scroll from bottom up).  Not only this, but I
discovered if I minimize the WinGIF process and then maximize it, the GIF
has turned itself rightside up again!  If I try to open a second gif, it
comes out upside down again!.  This did not happen when I was running in
EGA mode.  Any clues as to what is going on???  (or what had happened to my
swapfile problem)

Vince

Stallion                                                                Tigger
| INTERNET :             liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu                       |
| BITNET   :                  liggio@cunixf.bitnet                           |
| UUCP     :          {rutgers,topaz}!columbia!cunixf!liggio                 |

daneman@czech.sw.mcc.com (Michael Daneman) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.162106.26234@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Vincent J. Liggio) writes:

> I am having some strange problems with WinGIF.  First some background:

When I load a picture into WinGif on my computer, the picture is read in
upside down.  However, as soon the WinGif is finished decoding the gif, it
flips the picture right side up.  Does yours stay up side down even after
the picture is read in?

       "No clever quote available today."
                                      -Mike.

cs060128@csusac.csus.edu (H Philip Chen) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.162106.26234@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> liggio@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:

>I am having some strange problems with WinGIF.
>
>program), and configured windows for 800x600x256.  When I open a gif file
>in WinGIF, it opens it upside-down!  It actually reads it upside-down to
>the screen (you can watch it scroll from bottom up).  Not only this, but I
>discovered if I minimize the WinGIF process and then maximize it, the GIF
>has turned itself rightside up again!  If I try to open a second gif, it
>comes out upside down again!.  This did not happen when I was running in

The upside-down loads happened to me too, except my system is different from
yours.  WinGIF was running great until I installed the 800x600 256 color
driver for my TVGA 8900.  (I got the driver from cica).  However, after the
picture is loaded, it automatically flips back to normal.  Now, I've switched
back to the old 800x600 16 color driver and WinGIF loads properly.

I'm not too sure but could be something to do with 256 color and WinGIF.
BTW, it's the same (upside down) for the 1024x768 (256 color) and 640x480
(256 color) too.  It loads properly when I use any of the 16 color drivers.

Any other 256 color users out there that noticed the same thing?

-Philip

rbart@shakespyr.Pyramid.COM (Bob Bart) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar15.215837.7319@csusac.csus.edu>,
cs060128@csusac.csus.edu (H Philip Chen) writes:

|> Any other 256 color users out there that noticed the same thing?

Same here, I have a Orchid ProDesigner 2 video card using the driver
supplied from Orchid. I thought it was intended to work that way because
it flipped right side up when it was done loading, oh well. Haven't
tried the standard VGA driver.

      -#-------  Bob Bart -  Performance Analyst                  415-335-8101
    ---###-----  Pyramid Technology Corporation          pyramid!pyrnova!rbart
  -----#####---  Mountain View, CA  94039            rbart@pyrnova.pyramid.com
-------#######-  U.S.A.

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (03/20/91)

In article <148718@pyramid.pyramid.com> rbart@shakespyr.Pyramid.COM (Bob Bart) writes:

>Same here, I have a Orchid ProDesigner 2 video card using the driver
>supplied from Orchid. I thought it was intended to work that way because
>it flipped right side up when it was done loading, oh well. Haven't
>tried the standard VGA driver.

Hmmm, I remember the last release of wingif documentation referring to this
problem.  Something about "DIBs" and also drivers not doing something right.
You may want to dig up the wingif docs for a more complete discussion.  Seems
it wasn't a real problem....

--
* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>

u-mwong%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Michael Wong) (05/30/91)

   It seems that when I have over three WinGIFs (1.0) running and processing
a GIF file, Windows always crashes on my system.  If I have over three
WinGIFs running, but none of the processing, everything is ok.  For example,
I may have five WinGIFs running...and one at a time, I load GIF file for
each process.  Just the fourth one starts loading, Windows crashes.  Has
anybody encountered this?  Perhaps someone can try this on their system
to see if they get the same results...  I am running in 1024x768x256 mode
and 386 enhanced.

-Mike
Michael Wong
u-mwong@peruvian.utah.edu