[comp.windows.ms] DeskJet Fonts & Epson Emulation

tomj@snowking.Eng.Sun.COM (Tom Jacobs) (05/29/91)

I finally purchased the DeskJet 500 and love the quality... looks
better than most of the laser printers I've been using lately.

QUESTION: Anyone bought the "Epson FX" emulation cartridge?  I have
some programs that don't know about DeskJet and won't print, but do
know about Epson FX printers.  Any experience with this?

QUESTION: Is there any other ftp sites for DJ soft fonts other than in
the cica.cica.indiana.edu:/pub/pc/win3/fonts directory?

---
Tom Jacobs				ARPA: tomj@Eng.Sun.com
					UUCP: sun!tomj

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.143004@snowking.Eng.Sun.COM> tomj@snowking.Eng.Sun.COM (Tom Jacobs) writes:
>I finally purchased the DeskJet 500 and love the quality... looks
>better than most of the laser printers I've been using lately.
>
>QUESTION: Anyone bought the "Epson FX" emulation cartridge?  I have
>some programs that don't know about DeskJet and won't print, but do
>know about Epson FX printers.  Any experience with this?

I bought the Epson FX/80 emulation cartridge a few years ago when I bought
the original DeskJet. It can print Epson's flavor of Pica, Elite,
"proportional," and compressed typefaces. The resulting output is pretty
ugly when you consider what even my ancient DeskJet "classic" is capable of
when something like ATM is available.

The real big problem with the FX/80 cartridge, though, is that it
completely "takes over" the DeskJet. But this, I mean that the DeskJet
becomes a dedicated Epson clone as long as the cartrige is in a slot. No
other cartridge will work until you pull the FX/80 cartridge out.

You might want to see if your non-DJ-aware software "knows" about the HP
LaserJet. If the application isn't too complex (i.e., doesn't produce huge
graphic dumps), you will find that a lot of software written for the HP
LaserJet classic works with the DJ.

BTW...Anyone got any suggestions on what I can do with my DeskJet "Epson
emulation" cartridge? :-)
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com