[comp.windows.ms] Winword menus

zippo@freja.diku.dk (Ole Sas Thrane) (05/28/91)

Hi there

Does anyone know if it's possible to insert user defined menu items at
*any* given position in a Winword menu.  I would for example like to
insert a separator line after _undo_ in the _edit_ menu, but whenever I
try this, Word places the separator at the *bottom* of the menu - most
irritating...
So if anyone knows how to do this (through macros or whatever) please mail
or post the answer - I'm just about to give up.

    Thanks a lot

          O.T.

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May27.171831.1312@odin.diku.dk> zippo@freja.diku.dk (Ole Sas Thrane) writes:
>Hi there
>
>Does anyone know if it's possible to insert user defined menu items at
>*any* given position in a Winword menu.  I would for example like to
>insert a separator line after _undo_ in the _edit_ menu, but whenever I
>try this, Word places the separator at the *bottom* of the menu - most
>irritating...
>So if anyone knows how to do this (through macros or whatever) please mail
>or post the answer - I'm just about to give up.

The only way to do what you want (in the current version -- who knows what
version 2.0 might bring) is very awkward.  For every built in macro you
want your custom macro to come before, you would have to create a dummy
macro to call the built in function (basically, create a bunch of custom
macros) and place them after the one you want up on the list... So if you
wanted FooBar to come before Exit, you would unassign FileExit, assign
FooBar, create a second macro called FooExit that was simply
Sub Main
MacroRun "FileExit"
End Sub
And then assign it after FooBar.

Not only awkward, but pricey:  any of the built in menu items that would
normally be greyed in certain circumstances (like in Outline Mode) would
not grey (since they are user macros), and built in that have toggled check
marks would not show check marks...

All in all, not worth the trouble it seems to me, unless it is a really
specific application type template that will be used once (for installation
of a macro, say) and then disposed.... I can't see cluttering up my
NORMAL.DOT with dummy macros...