[comp.windows.ms] Caches and Windows

dana@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Dan Aksel) (05/23/91)

In article <colfelt.674977066@tramp.Colorado.EDU> colfelt@tramp.Colorado.EDU writes:
>I don't remember who posted the reply before yours, but he said that the
>Microsoft help line told him that SmartDrv isn't a real cache and that a
>cache of the PCTools or Qualitas variety would be better.  Why isn't SmartDrv
>a real cache?  You're proof that the PCTools solution is a bad one...

I was the poster you referenced.  Problem is you got the quotes wrong...
Before the world comes down on both of us let me set it straight.

Microsoft told me not to use SMARTDRV unless absolutely necessary as some
mysterious hangs could be attributed to the use of SMARTDRV.

Qualitas told me SMARTDRV isn't a "real cache" and I should use theirs....
or PC-Tools.

Others have mentioned the Norton cache which I have no personal experience.
---
Dan Aksel

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/24/91)

dana@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Dan Aksel) writes:

>In article <colfelt.674977066@tramp.Colorado.EDU> colfelt@tramp.Colorado.EDU writes:
>>I don't remember who posted the reply before yours, but he said that the
>>Microsoft help line told him that SmartDrv isn't a real cache and that a
>>cache of the PCTools or Qualitas variety would be better.  Why isn't SmartDrv
>>a real cache?  You're proof that the PCTools solution is a bad one...

>I was the poster you referenced.  Problem is you got the quotes wrong...
>Before the world comes down on both of us let me set it straight.

>Microsoft told me not to use SMARTDRV unless absolutely necessary as some
>mysterious hangs could be attributed to the use of SMARTDRV.

>Qualitas told me SMARTDRV isn't a "real cache" and I should use theirs....
>or PC-Tools.

>Others have mentioned the Norton cache which I have no personal experience.

Thanks for the correction.  It seems a little less dramatic this way;
I apologize for the misconception.

Do you know anything about Hyperdisk?  (Re: posting today)

Andrew
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu

forrest@orion.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) (05/25/91)

I'm using QEMM 5.12, PC-KWIK 4.0, and DOS 3.3 on an 8meg 386 with
AMI BIOS and everything works fine in all three Windows modes.

----
Anything you read here is my opinion and in no way represents Sybase, Inc.

Jon Forrest WB6EDM

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (05/30/91)

forrest@orion.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) writes:

>I'm using QEMM 5.12, PC-KWIK 4.0, and DOS 3.3 on an 8meg 386 with
>AMI BIOS and everything works fine in all three Windows modes.

Is it true that PC-KWIK can dynamically allocate memory between a cache
and ram disk? And relinquish memory using the LRU algorithm for windows
when there is a need, ditto for ram-disk when you write to it?

Is there such a product?

PLease cc: me on your postings. Thanks!

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (05/30/91)

indra@ashirvad.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
>forrest@orion.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) writes:

>>I'm using QEMM 5.12, PC-KWIK 4.0, and DOS 3.3 on an 8meg 386 with
>>AMI BIOS and everything works fine in all three Windows modes.

>Is it true that PC-KWIK can dynamically allocate memory between a cache
>and ram disk? And relinquish memory using the LRU algorithm for windows
>when there is a need, ditto for ram-disk when you write to it?

In a word, Yes.  PC-Kwik will do all these things.  It also has a command
line editor so you can recall all DOS commands issued since boot-up with the
up/down arrow keys.

It's success with Windows has been proven; it won't trash your hard disk
and WILL cooperate with Windows' demands.  "It's the most advanced cache ever
created."

Andrew BW Colfelt
Andrew BW Colfelt