[comp.windows.ms] PostScript download utility

barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) (05/30/91)

Many moons ago I recall using a program to download *.ps files to an
Apple LaserWriter Plus. I believe the utility was called PSDOWN.EXE.
I have searched far and wide and have not seen anything obviously
like it on any of many FTP sites.

It would be extra special if this utility worked as a native Win 3.0 app
allowing me to preview the file before printing it. Extra points for an
app that uses PrintManager.

Anyone come accross such a beast?

barry

| Barry B. Floyd                   \\\       barry_floyd@mts.rpi.edu |
| Manager Information Systems - HR    \\\          usere9w9@rpitsmts |
+-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute--------------------troy, ny 12180-+

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (05/30/91)

In article <pxmhx4=@rpi.edu> barryf@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Barry B. Floyd) writes:
>Many moons ago I recall using a program to download *.ps files to an
>Apple LaserWriter Plus. I believe the utility was called PSDOWN.EXE.
>I have searched far and wide and have not seen anything obviously
>like it on any of many FTP sites.
>
>It would be extra special if this utility worked as a native Win 3.0 app
>allowing me to preview the file before printing it. Extra points for an
>app that uses PrintManager.
>
>Anyone come accross such a beast?

The reason you can't find it is because PSDOWN is a Mac application.  It is
not needed on the PC.  Just COPY *.PS COM1: or whatever port the printer is
on.  You can do this from File Manager or the MSDOS Executive inside of
windows.

Chris

--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1

schwartz@possum.den.mmc.com (Michael Schwartz) (05/30/91)

Note: You CANNOT always use copy, especially if your printer requires
software handshaking.  SURELY there are some software applications that
do this well.

I recall that I have done this through W4W, and have done this using
Terminal (pasting a document into the terminal window).

If one does not exist, it seems that it should be easy to write....
--
schwartz@pogo.den.mmc.com              "You'll find ... that the only thing
mschwartz@mmc.com                          you can do easily is be wrong,

schwartz@possum.den.mmc.com (Michael Schwartz) writes:

>Note: You CANNOT always use copy, especially if your printer requires
>software handshaking.  SURELY there are some software applications that
>do this well.

>I recall that I have done this through W4W, and have done this using
>Terminal (pasting a document into the terminal window).

>If one does not exist, it seems that it should be easy to write....
>--
>schwartz@pogo.den.mmc.com              "You'll find ... that the only thing
>mschwartz@mmc.com                          you can do easily is be wrong,
>DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed are      and that's hardly worth the effort"
>not necessarily those of my employer or myself.          --the phantom tollbooth

I have on several occasions tried copying *.ps files to COM1, and I have
tried using FILE - PRINT, both from FileManager. I have yet to get a
single printed sheet. The source *.ps files are posted to FTP sites as
alternatives to ASCII files. Is it possible that the source files are
not compatible with other files? I recall a thread of discussion pertaining
to a ^D prefix or postfix in some *.ps files, is this a possible cause
for problems when using FileManager?

I will persist in my attempts to get *.ps files through FileManager, but I
was hoping for a *.ps previewer and printer utility. Any such utilities
exist?