[comp.windows.ms] 256 Colors for Windows

uwp@kit.cs.tu-berlin.de (Udo Wolter) (05/22/91)

Hi WINDOWS-Freaks !
I have a VGA-Card with a TSENG-3000-Chip (512K)and want to have 256 colours
for my WINDOWS 3.0. I have 256 Colours now but only in 640x480 mode.
I want the 800x600 mode with 256 colours. Does anyone know where I could
find such a driver ? I tried the cica.cica.indiana.edu server but there
were only the normal drivers. Does anyone know another WINDOWS server which
have such a driver ?

Thanx in advance,
                   Udo
--
Udo Wolter
Tel.:        +49.30.465 86 56

--
Udo Wolter
Tel.:        +49.30.465 86 56
INTERNET:    uwp@opal.cs.tu.berlin.de
             wolter@db0tui11.cs.tu-berlin.de
BITNET/EARN: WOLTER@DB0TUI11

chchoi@eng.auburn.edu (Cheong Hyeon Choi) (05/29/91)

In article <UWP.91May28140510@franc.cs.tu-berlin.de> uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de (Udo Wolter) writes:

 Hi, there. I have followed articles on 256 Colors for windows and I tried
everything for my Multi-sync Mono SVGA and STB PowerView. I couldn't see
any difference. Could you help me for my Monitor if you have the same
experience. My monitor system is composed of TmV Multi-sync High-Res Mono
monitor (it can display infinite shades with Analog signal) and STB PowerView
(512k) which shows max 1024 by 786 with 16 colors and 640 by 480 with 256 colors.

 I had a window driver for this system. After I switched to 640-by-480, when
I tried to change colors for window, there was no difference. Still there are
clumsy shades (not exact shades) when making new color. But my demo program
to show capa. of monitor display fantastic shades. Is this problem from
monitor, or my fault? Please share your valuable experience or knowledge
with me. Many net-users are interested in 256 colors and so do I. But
now I am very disappointed with my monitors. If this mono monitor can't
display such a fantastic things, could you recommend me a good but cheap
monitor system? Thank you in advance.

--------------
Cheong H. Choi
Tel. 404-248-1637
Internet:  chchoi@eng.auburn.edu

roger@larry.ruhr.de (Roger Schwentker) (05/31/91)

rcstack@rwa.urc.tue.nl (Studenten Vereniging Stack):
> Wrong. Although it is not included in the MDB-10 drivers kit on cica, Eizo
> includes an 800x600x256 driver with its MDB-10 card, which works fine in
> conjunction with other Tseng3000 cards like the Orchid Prodesigner.

yeah, that's the driver! look out, people, it is not public-domain.
there is one further problem with this driver: it offers the
800x600x256 mode to cards, that do not support this mode in their
bios.

it seems to me, that this driver goes round the BIOS and manipulates
the VGA-registers itself. This would also explain, why on my monitor
the windows-screen is at least 2 cm more left than normal. Using
the BIOS-800x600x256 mode the picture is perfectly centered.

Any furter ideas ?

|  Roger Schwentker                UUCP/EUNET  : ironduke@fernuni-hagen.de   |
|  Fernuniversttaet Hagen          private     : roger@larry.ruhr.de         |
|  Prakt. Informatik III           EARN/BITNET : ironduke@dhafeu51.bitnet    |
|  D - 5800 Hagen                  phone       : +49 2331 804 2102           |
|  Reserved for further extensions                                           |
|    (every IBM - manual)                                                    |