[comp.windows.ms] help with packet drivers, please

feb@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM (Frank Bien) (05/23/91)

I recently picked up a copy of DIS_PKT.DOS from usu via
anon ftp. It looks like something which can solve (at least in
part) my problems. I could use some advise.

I have a Zenith 286 machine (3 mb RAM) windows 3.0, etc.

I am trying to run a variety of networking programs over a single
Western Digital Ethernet Card (WD8003e), but am having little luck
running them all without rebooting when I change between them.

Running (or at least trying to):
	NCSA Telnet 2.3 beta something
		-- uses its own internal packet drivers
	qvtnet (new May 91 version) which may replace ncsa_telnet
		-- uses clarkson packet driver
	XVISION X-windows for windows
		-- uses FTP Software packet driver
	FTP Software -- use some of their utils, but no TNVT or FTP
		-- uses FTP Sofware drivers
	IBM's pc local area network (v1.3)
		-- uses Western Digital's netbios driver

The object is to have a package to log into various hosts
(XWindows), a package to use when I don't want to wait for
XWindows on my slow pc and to FTP back to my pc (qvtnet or
ncsa_telnet), and a package to network 5 or 6 pc's together
(preferably each as servers) -- IBM's LAN package (hey, it was
free -- we had several extra packages).

Right now, I start my machine and default to the clarkson packet
drivers so I can run qvtnet.  If I want to run XWindows or IBM LAN
i have to modify the config.sys and autoexec, shutting of the old
driver and turning on the new, and then reboot (what a pain in the
ass).

Any advise or assistance on how to run these packages in "peace
and harmony" would be greatly appreciated.  I couldn't get dis_pkt
to work, will it do what I want?  If so what would the config.sys
and protocol.ini look like?

thanks for any help,

Frank Bien
feb@gumby.dsd.trw.com
(213) 812-5072
e-mail please

vamg6792@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Vincent A Mazzarella) (05/23/91)

feb@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM (Frank Bien) writes:

>I recently picked up a copy of DIS_PKT.DOS from usu via
>anon ftp. It looks like something which can solve (at least in
>part) my problems. I could use some advise.

>I have a Zenith 286 machine (3 mb RAM) windows 3.0, etc.

>I am trying to run a variety of networking programs over a single
>Western Digital Ethernet Card (WD8003e), but am having little luck
>running them all without rebooting when I change between them.

>Running (or at least trying to):
>	NCSA Telnet 2.3 beta something
>		-- uses its own internal packet drivers
>	qvtnet (new May 91 version) which may replace ncsa_telnet
>		-- uses clarkson packet driver
>	XVISION X-windows for windows
>		-- uses FTP Software packet driver
>	FTP Software -- use some of their utils, but no TNVT or FTP
>		-- uses FTP Sofware drivers
>	IBM's pc local area network (v1.3)
>		-- uses Western Digital's netbios driver

>The object is to have a package to log into various hosts
>(XWindows), a package to use when I don't want to wait for
>XWindows on my slow pc and to FTP back to my pc (qvtnet or
>ncsa_telnet), and a package to network 5 or 6 pc's together
>(preferably each as servers) -- IBM's LAN package (hey, it was
>free -- we had several extra packages).

>Right now, I start my machine and default to the clarkson packet
>drivers so I can run qvtnet.  If I want to run XWindows or IBM LAN
>i have to modify the config.sys and autoexec, shutting of the old
>driver and turning on the new, and then reboot (what a pain in the
>ass).

>Any advise or assistance on how to run these packages in "peace
>and harmony" would be greatly appreciated.  I couldn't get dis_pkt
>to work, will it do what I want?  If so what would the config.sys
>and protocol.ini look like?

>thanks for any help,

>Frank Bien
>feb@gumby.dsd.trw.com
>(213) 812-5072
>e-mail please

I do the same thing as you do. I run all my programs from a batch file.

Before I put any external drivers or interfaces (such as is needed for
WinQVTNet), I use a memory marker (such as MARK.EXE). Then I run the programs.
When the program is finished and control returns to the batch file, I
use RELEASE.EXE to remove the drivers, etc., from memory.

For Windows, I place the marker, load the TCP/IP driver and the WINQVTNET
interface module before running Windows. The batch file continues to load
Windows. After exiting Windows, the modules are released.

MARK/RELEASE are shareware utilities available almost anywhere.

Cheers.

--

Vincent Mazzarella
College of Medicine, Neuroscience Program

jrd@cc.usu.edu (06/01/91)

In article <1991May22.171543.1404@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM>, feb@gumby.dsd.TRW.COM (Frank Bien) writes:
> I recently picked up a copy of DIS_PKT.DOS from usu via
> anon ftp. It looks like something which can solve (at least in
> part) my problems. I could use some advise.
>
> I have a Zenith 286 machine (3 mb RAM) windows 3.0, etc.
>
> I am trying to run a variety of networking programs over a single
> Western Digital Ethernet Card (WD8003e), but am having little luck
> running them all without rebooting when I change between them.
>
> Running (or at least trying to):
> 	NCSA Telnet 2.3 beta something
> 		-- uses its own internal packet drivers
> 	qvtnet (new May 91 version) which may replace ncsa_telnet
> 		-- uses clarkson packet driver
> 	XVISION X-windows for windows
> 		-- uses FTP Software packet driver
> 	FTP Software -- use some of their utils, but no TNVT or FTP
> 		-- uses FTP Sofware drivers
> 	IBM's pc local area network (v1.3)
> 		-- uses Western Digital's netbios driver
>
> The object is to have a package to log into various hosts
> (XWindows), a package to use when I don't want to wait for
> XWindows on my slow pc and to FTP back to my pc (qvtnet or
> ncsa_telnet), and a package to network 5 or 6 pc's together
> (preferably each as servers) -- IBM's LAN package (hey, it was
> free -- we had several extra packages).
>
> Right now, I start my machine and default to the clarkson packet
> drivers so I can run qvtnet.  If I want to run XWindows or IBM LAN
> i have to modify the config.sys and autoexec, shutting of the old
> driver and turning on the new, and then reboot (what a pain in the
> ass).
>
> Any advise or assistance on how to run these packages in "peace
> and harmony" would be greatly appreciated.  I couldn't get dis_pkt
> to work, will it do what I want?  If so what would the config.sys
> and protocol.ini look like?
>
> thanks for any help,
>
> Frank Bien
> feb@gumby.dsd.trw.com
> (213) 812-5072
> e-mail please
---------------------------------------
Frank,
	Two points on your troubles.
1. You need a more recent version of DIS_PKT. v1.07 is available from
NETLAB.USU.EDU 129.123.1.11 in directory [.NETWATCH]. Then you won't
need a full Packet Driver per se.
2. Windows plays havoc with just about all communications programs,
particularly those using a local area network board. You will have to do
some experimenting to find a workable combination (hint: load all the
networking stuff before starting Windows, or load everything in a single
window and don't let other windows use those pieces).
	Joe D.