[comp.windows.ms] Windows problem

kh11@prism.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) (05/31/91)

Every time I load Professional Prowrite Plus for Windows my modem goes crazy.
The send and receive lights light up like a Christmas tree and eventually I
receive a System Error that reads, "AUX read error".  Any thoughts?

Ken Hall
--
Ken Hall - Department Manager                   | Voice:    (404) 894-5559
Office of the Assoc. VP for Planning, Bus & Fin | Bitnet:   khall at gtri01

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (06/03/91)

In article <30277@hydra.gatech.EDU> kh11@prism.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) writes:
>Every time I load Professional Prowrite Plus for Windows my modem goes crazy.
>The send and receive lights light up like a Christmas tree and eventually I
>receive a System Error that reads, "AUX read error".  Any thoughts?

Windows is trying to output a message to your debugging terminal (i.e. AUX)
which is connected to the modem on your machine.  Don't suppose you have
the debugging version of Windows installed (from the SDK)?  If so it could
easily be a RIP, which in essance says "something is wrong with the program,
what do you want me to do about it."  Since you can't respond from the
modem it gives the above error.  There may be situations that retail Windows
would do the same thing but I can't think of any offhand.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.