[comp.windows.ms] Word Processing Programs

rb65@prism.gatech.EDU (Butera, Robert J.) (06/01/91)

Can anyone reccomend any good WP programs that run under Windows
BESIDES MS-Word?  I've seen Winword mentioned here and on ftp sites - is it
shareware?  Any other rrreccomendations?

--
Robert J. Butera, Jr.
Georgia Tech Research Institute

elmanad@leland.Stanford.EDU (Adam Elman) (06/01/91)

In article <30341@hydra.gatech.EDU>, rb65@prism.gatech.EDU (Butera, Robert J.) writes:
|> Can anyone reccomend any good WP programs that run under Windows
|> BESIDES MS-Word?  I've seen Winword mentioned here and on ftp sites - is it
|> shareware?  Any other rrreccomendations?
|>

|> --
|> Robert J. Butera, Jr.
|> Georgia Tech Research Institute
|> Internet: rb65@prism.gatech.edu
|> "My opinions, not Georgia Tech's"

Winword IS another name for MS Word for Windows.

If you're not satisfied with W4W/WFW/Winword, there are a few other
packages out there you might try.  One is Ami Pro from Lotus, which
has a much more graphical interface than WFW -- It is, from what I
have heard, very nice for light page layout/desktop publishing.
Another WP is Legacy, which is produced by WordStar Corp.  It is not
WordStar for Windows, but it sounds pretty decent.
If you can wait, WordPerfect for Windows is scheduled to be out
sometime in the next few months, and from advance reviews it sounds
like it's going to be pretty amazing.  Finally, WordStar for Windows
is also in the works.

That's all the Windows WP packages I can think of...If anyone can think
of others, go ahead...

Adam Elman
elmanad@leland.stanford.edu

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (06/01/91)

WinWord *is* MSWord for Windows.  It is the best word processor (inmho)
available for Windows (or any other OS for that matter, with the possible
exception of FrameMaker or DeScribe)

drp@dosbears.UUCP (David R. Preston) (06/03/91)

In article <30341@hydra.gatech.EDU> rb65@prism.gatech.EDU (Butera, Robert J.) writes:
>Can anyone reccomend any good WP programs that run under Windows
>BESIDES MS-Word?  I've seen Winword mentioned here and on ftp sites - is it
>shareware?  Any other rrreccomendations?

What do you need to do?  If you need absolute flexibility and control
over the layout, including graphics, get Aldus Pagemaker 4.0.  Microsoft
Word for Windows (also known as Winword and W4W) is a great WP, with
a powerful macro language and almost adequate layout.  Ami Pro isn't
quite as good a WP as W4W, but has better layout.  WordPerfect for
Windows will be out soon.  WordStar Legacy for Windows has just come
out and looks promising if their ads are based in reality.  And there
are other choices; what's your price range and what do you need?

--
          David R. Preston      drp%dosbears.uucp@ingres.com
                   The world hadn't ever had so many

In article <1991Jun1.083627.2466@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) writes:
>WinWord *is* MSWord for Windows.  It is the best word processor (inmho)
>available for Windows (or any other OS for that matter, with the possible
>exception of FrameMaker or DeScribe)

Rah rah rah!  :-)

I think W4W is great for working on complicated multi-part documents
like a thesis or a book, but it's not that great for graphically complex
documents like a newsletter with headlines and shaded boxes and columns
etc.  I've heard horror stories about FrameMaker.  The new PageMaker 4.0
has a built-in word processor (story editor) that makes it a very nice
self-contained DTP program.