[net.auto] That's Japan with a capital J

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (02/08/85)

*** REPLACE THIS MESS ***

> By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
> they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the
> new Golfs and Jettas. They are both entirely redesigned, offering more room,
> better handling smoother ride, etc. The Golf is made in the US of A, and is
> identical to it's german namesake. The Jetta, which looks very sharp, is
> made in Germany. In comparison to almost all japanese cars, VWs have freely
> revving engines (with fuel injection, by the way), and have struck an
> admirable balance between handling and ride. Another plus: while a lot of
> japanese car dealers seem to be magnanamous by only charging a few percent
> above list, VW dealers charge below list. A friend of mine just purchased a
> Golf with almost all options except automatic and air, and pays $8900. Do
> not forget that the Golf is probably going to be around for a few years,
> instead of being replaced by a new japanese can two three years.
>

>  			Bernard H. Schwab

Oh really? The vw people are well-known for their propensity to put absolute
junk on the road. The Japanese have succeeded with autos the same way they
did with cameras and motocycles, the same way they are succeeding with
letter-quality printers and other computer peripherals, and the same way
that Apple is succeeding: by thoroughly researching market trends and needs,
comparing what it currently available against what is desirable, then
designing and building it better and cheaper than anyone might have
imagined. Cameras are an excellent analogy to the situation with autos in
fact: Before the Japanese entered the market, the germans were building there
same old hasselblads, the us of a was putting out tons of brownies and
playing with the instant camera. The Japanese now are renowned for their
optics, product reliability, and features. The camera of choice for ALL
professionals? Why the Nikon, of course.

So too with cars. The germans will never build anything to compared to what
Toyota has been doing all along. vws are known for their schlocky design and
their use of cheap materials that fall apart if you look at them wrong. The
germans have no concept of the term 'appropriate technology'. If plastic
will work til the car is a year or so old, then plastic it is. Not just any
plastic, mind you, but plastic specifically chosen to rot with continued
exposure to air. When the Japanese use plastics, they choose nylons and
other tough materials that will stand up to the task.

Don't talk to me about "quality" coming out of germany. Did you ever hear
this story --

    A guy finds a bottle on a beach, and when he's cleaning it up,
    a genie comes out of it. The genie tells him that for a reward,
    he would grant one wish. The man thinks for a while, and says,
    "I'd like a car dealership in a major city." POOF! He finds
    himself with a vw dealership in downtown Tokyo.

--
Gary Benson John Fluke Mfg Co PO Box C-9090 Everett WA USA 98206 (206) 356-5367
{ allegra, microsoft, ssc-vax, telematic, tikal, uw-beaver, wavetek } fluke!inc

kens@orca.UUCP (Ken Serack) (02/11/85)

Gary Benson writes:

> Don't talk to me about "quality" coming out of germany. Did you ever hear
> this story --
>
>     A guy finds a bottle on a beach, and when he's cleaning it up,
>     a genie comes out of it. The genie tells him that for a reward,
>     he would grant one wish. The man thinks for a while, and says,
>     "I'd like a car dealership in a major city." POOF! He finds
>     himself with a vw dealership in downtown Tokyo.
>

> Gary Benson John Fluke Mfg Co PO Box C-9090 Everett WA USA 98206 (206) 356-5367

I personally wouldn't mind having a VW dealership in Tokyo. I
occasionally get automotive magazines from Japan, and the real hot
selling cars (new and used) seem to be the MBZ's, BMW's, Porche's and
VW's. Oh, and the American cars are also very popular (Vette's of any
year are VERY much in demand and expensive). It seems that the foreign
car as a status symbol is popular in Japan.

Ken Serack
Tektronix, Inc.
Wilsonville Or.
tektronix!tekecs!kens

jackh@zehntel.UUCP (jack hagerty) (02/12/85)

>           Cameras are an excellent analogy to the situation with autos in
> fact: Before the Japanese entered the market, the germans were building there
> same old hasselblads, the us of a was putting out tons of brownies and
> playing with the instant camera. The Japanese now are renowned for their
> optics, product reliability, and features. The camera of choice for ALL
> professionals? Why the Nikon, of course.
>
> --
> Gary Benson John Fluke Mfg Co

This reply really doesn't belong in net.auto but I'm putting it here just to
set the record straight.

1) Hasselblaad is Swedish, not German.

2) The Germans and the Swiss still make the best optics.

3) What the Japaneese have done is produce camera systems that are 70% as
   good for half the price.

4) It depends on the professional. Nikon seems to be the choice of reporters.
   Hasselblaad is the choice of medium format users while craftsmen who want
   to use small format seem to prefer Leica (Lieca?).
--
                    Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
                          ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh

kanner@tymix.UUCP (Herb Kanner) (02/13/85)

The last time I looked, the Hasselblad was made in Sweden.  And, talking
about German cameras--have you ever heard of the Leica!

H. Kanner
Tymnet, Inc.

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (02/13/85)

Unbelievable!  I'm off the net for ten days, and this is the fourth
article ...

In article <525@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:

>Oh really? The vw people are well-known for their propensity to put absolute
>junk on the road.

Oh.  How come I haven't heard about it?

>So too with cars. The germans will never build anything to compared to what
>Toyota has been doing all along. vws are known for their schlocky design and
>their use of cheap materials that fall apart if you look at them wrong. The
>germans have no concept of the term 'appropriate technology'. If plastic
>will work til the car is a year or so old, then plastic it is. Not just any
>plastic, mind you, but plastic specifically chosen to rot with continued
>exposure to air. When the Japanese use plastics, they choose nylons and
>other tough materials that will stand up to the task.

Ahem.  I have friends with VWs from model years 1968, 1971, 1972,
1974, 1975, 1977, 1981, 1984.  None of them have suffered the 'cracked
dash syndrome' so common in US cars, not to mention the durability of
the seats or miscellaneous plastic parts.  Maybe I've been looking in
the wrong places.  Or I haven't stared hard enough.  What gives?

>    A guy finds a bottle on a beach, and when he's cleaning it up,
>    a genie comes out of it. The genie tells him that for a reward,
>    he would grant one wish. The man thinks for a while, and says,
>    "I'd like a car dealership in a major city." POOF! He finds
>    himself with a vw dealership in downtown Tokyo.

Not *that* funny.  VW is in fact the best-selling import in Japan.
Also, VW has a joint venture with Nissan in Japan, building Santanas
(aka Quantums) for the Japanese market.

				\tom haapanen
				watmath!watdcsu!haapanen

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (02/13/85)

Well, I might as well throw in my comments too.
I own a 1981 VW rabbit S.  It has 50000+ miles on it.  So far the most
significant problem with it was an oil pressure sensor that developed
a leak, slowly drooling oil down the side of the engine.  Nothing else.

So far, I'm pretty happy with it.  My previous car was a Honda Civic,
and given a choice now I'd still take the rabbit.  There are a bunch of
minor improvements: it carries a LOT of fairly bulky stuff (the roof is high).
The back seat is more comfortable.  The front seatback angle is adjustable.
The view is better.

But the biggest difference between it and any other car I've driven is the
engine, and I attribute the difference to fuel injection.  Normally, when
I start the car, I just turn the key to "start" for about a half second -
I don't even wait till I hear the engine fire - it almost always has by
that time.  It starts when it's COLD.  It runs well when cold.  It revs
freely to 6000 RPM.  It puts out a decent amount of torque.  It NEVER
stutters when you floor the accelerator.  (How much can the Bosch fuel
injection system add to the cost of the car, anyway?  I'd gladly pay several
hundred dollars extra (over a carburetor) if both were available in
the same car.)  I've never had any trouble with either fuel line ice
or vapour lock - I attribute this to the high fuel system pressure (~70PSI).

And there are a few other nice engineering touches too: rabbits shipped
to Canada have a larger battery than those going to the U.S.  (How many
American manufacturers do that?).  The rear window defogger is standard.
(Why this should be considered an "option" in Canada is beyond me, but
it was on the American cars I looked at.)  The sparkplugs and distributor
are right on the front of the engine; the oil filter is not too bad
for access either.  And the engine has less emissions plumbing restricting
access than most other cars of that vintage I've seen.

bryan@wucs.UUCP (Bryan Ewbank) (02/14/85)

>   I personally wouldn't mind having a VW dealership in Tokyo. I
>   occasionally get automotive magazines from Japan, and the real hot
>   selling cars (new and used) seem to be the MBZ's, BMW's, Porche's and
>   VW's. Oh, and the American cars are also very popular (Vette's of any
>   year are VERY much in demand and expensive). It seems that the foreign
>   car as a status symbol is popular in Japan.
>   Ken Serack
>   Tektronix, Inc.
>   Wilsonville Or.
>   tektronix!tekecs!kens

Groan.  Having been to Tokyo for a summer, I can tell you that Large American
Cars do not do well.  They block traffic.  They take two parking places.  The
steering wheel is on the wrong side.  Worst of all is that there are a large
number of streets where they can't go at all.

Bryan Ewbank	bryan@wucs.UUCP
--
There once was a naive unix user	Bryan Ewbank
Who thought he was a real abuser	bryan@wucs.UUCP (..!ihnp4!wucs!bryan)

rome@nmtvax.UUCP (02/14/85)

In article <> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
>> By the way: if more people could suppress their bias towards japanese cars,
>> they would venture up to their local Volkswagen dealers and check out the
>> new Golfs and Jettas. They are both entirely redesigned, offering more room,
>> better handling smoother ride, etc. The Golf is made in the US of A, and is
>> identical to it's german namesake. The Jetta, which looks very sharp, is
>> made in Germany. In comparison to almost all japanese cars, VWs have freely
>> revving engines (with fuel injection, by the way), and have struck an
>> admirable balance between handling and ride. Another plus: while a lot of
>> japanese car dealers seem to be magnanamous by only charging a few percent
>> above list, VW dealers charge below list. A friend of mine just purchased a
>> Golf with almost all options except automatic and air, and pays $8900. Do
>> not forget that the Golf is probably going to be around for a few years,
>> instead of being replaced by a new japanese can two three years.
>>

>>  			Bernard H. Schwab
>

>The germans will never build anything to compared to what
>Toyota has been doing all along. vws are known for their schlocky design and
>their use of cheap materials that fall apart if you look at them wrong. The
>germans have no concept of the term 'appropriate technology'.
>
>Don't talk to me about "quality" coming out of germany.

I too have never seen a VW
    1)  That was good as Japenese car
    2)  That was worth $8900
Also, a VW built in the US?  Now you've got marginal engineering with
slip-shod workmanship. (Ugh!)

However, don't throw away a whole bushel of apples just because you find
one bad one.  Before you seal your opinion about German cars, look at
the BMW and Mercades-Benz.  After looking at these two examples of
automotive art, I think that you find it hard to say that they
are techically obsolent or "cheap".

                                          Jeff

oneill@lll-crg.ARPA (Neil J. O'Neill) (02/18/85)

> >When the Japanese use plastics, they choose nylons and
> >other tough materials that will stand up to the task.

If this were only true.  I have a '77 Chevy Luv (made by Isuzu) which is
suffering quite a lot of plastic rot.  The plastic that covers my sun visors
is flaking off in large brittle chunks.  The plastic hinge used on the cover
for the cab-light has cracked causing the cover to fall off.  The weather
stripping on the driver's door is broken in several places.  And last, but
not least, the dash is cracked in several places.  The unfortunate part
about all of this is the fantastic prices the dealers charge for replacement
of these cheap plastic parts.  For example,

	o New sun visors    -- $20.00 each (EACH!)
	o new cab light     -- $16.95
	o new weather strip -- $29.95 each (i.e., $60 for both doors)

I tried looking for a cab-light at a junk yard, but the only one I found
was broken in exactly the same place as mine.

hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie) (02/19/85)

  To H Kanner:  Leica's R4 SLR is really a Minolta XD-11 spruced up with a
                quadrupled (or so) price.
  To J Haggerty:MODERN PHOTOGRPHY seems to think German superiority is
                more prejudice than fact.  "The...28, 50, and 135mm Zeiss
                lenses made in Japan for the Yashica/Contax line are equal
                to, if not slightly better than their German counterparts
                according to our tests." -Oct 1984 (Though they state that
                Zeiss' exotic lenses are among the best in the world)
                It's my observation that most fashion photographers like
                the Nikon F3.

Rei Shinozuka
ihnp4!cmcl2!acf4!hkr4627

hlh@security.UUCP (Henry L. Hall) (02/22/85)

	I have been the owner of a '74 Dasher, a '82 Scirocco and a '84
Scirocco and have found them all to be rather well engineered.  The Dasher
did start to have compression problems at 50K miles due to an intake manifold
bolt not having been re-torqued correctly after a valve adjustment (an intake
valve burned while running too lean, wish I had hydraulic valves).  To be fair,
it also had the cracked dash problem common with the '74, '75 Dashers.  The '82
Scirocco was traded to get the GTI 1.8 litre and the short ratio gears.
The 84 has 15 K on it and has had no major problems at all.

	No doubt that Toyota, Nissan, and Honda also put out quite a fine
product though I know from a dealership in my area who sells both Hondas and
VWs that they prefer to sell Honda because the dealer markup allows the same
profit to be made from selling one stripped Honda Accord as two semi-equipped
Sciroccos (air conditioning and a sunroof).

	Henry L. Hall

{allegra, cbosgd, decvax, ihnp4, philabs, utzoo} !linus!hlh		{UUCP}

bandy@lll-crg.ARPA (Andrew Scott Beals) (02/23/85)

> Groan.  Having been to Tokyo for a summer, ...Large American
> Cars do not do well. ...
> Worst of all is that there are a large
> number of streets where they can't go at all.

Tee hee! There are a number of places in Boston where I have many many
problems getting around in my Toyota 4x4 - I just can't turn without either
driving up on the sidewalk or backing up a little bit and trying again.
(good thing I'm never down there during the day!)

andy beals
arpa:	bandy@gluteus
uucp:	{sun!lll-crg,ihnp4!mit-eddie}!bandy