[comp.windows.ms] Help: cannot get 3.0 to run in Color EGA on XT < Answer

amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Andrew Fountain) (06/03/91)

In <u855203.675858658@probitas> u855203@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Michael Harlow) writes:

>I have tried to install windows 3.0 on an XT clone, with an EGA card.
>If windows is set for color EGA, the blue logo screen appears OK, and then
>the mode changes to text (as normal) before bringing up the desktop, and
>then thats it. No go. If windows is told to use Mono-EGA, then it loads fine
>and runs (In mono of course!)
>I have tried a variety EGA cards, with the same result. The motherboard
>has the switch set to color.

>Whats going on ??

The EGA and VGA drivers contain machine code instructions that will not
run on an 8088 (i.e. an XT), but will run on an 80286, 386, 486, V20, V30

The solution to your problem is cheap and simple.
Unplug the 8088 processor and plug in a V20 (about $10). Not only will
Windows now run, but the graphics will be significantly faster.
One point: YOU MUST COMPLETELY RE-INSTALL WINDOWS.

I did this mod to an XT 2 days ago and it worked fine.
The V20 is a readily available replacement for the 8088 made by NEC.

--
amf@ecs.soton.ac.uk                  Dr. Andrew Fountain
Tel: +44 703 592831                  Dept of Electronics and Computer Science