[comp.windows.ms] Cannot access EMS memory in Standard Mode!

bgebby@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brian P Gebby) (05/30/91)

Help!

I've been sweating over this problem for a long time now.
I have a 80286/12MHz system with 2MB of expanded memory and 1MB of
onboard memory base.  The problem is Windows acknowledges the memory
in Real Mode but it won't acknowledge the memory in Standard Mode.

I have a BOCA AT Plus Memory Board with full LIM EMS 4.0 compatability
and the HIMEM.YS driver provided with Windows 3.0.: 4/5/90 2.60.version.
Dos date (from 'dir') -- 5/1/90. (which I heard was the crrect file to use.)

Now I can't run Excel 3.0 and It's really getting aggraaating!

Help!

Brian Gebby                     | "The computer is like an Old Testament God,
bgebby@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu|  lots of rules and little mercy." --
aj583@po.cwru.edu               |                    John Campbell.

Paul D. Shan <PDS2@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.200439.27697@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
bgebby@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brian P Gebby) says:

>Help!
>
>I've been sweating over this problem for a long time now.
>I have a 80286/12MHz system with 2MB of expanded memory and 1MB of
>onboard memory base.  The problem is Windows acknowledges the memory
>in Real Mode but it won't acknowledge the memory in Standard Mode.

  Windows only uses Expanded memory in Real mode.  In Standard and 386
  Enhanced, Windows only uses Extended RAM.  You said that you have a
  BOCA RAM board.  You should be able to configure that as extended RAM.

  By the way, HIMEM.SYS is an Extended memory manager.  If you don't have any
  extended memory in your system, HIMEM will not load.

  Hope this helps.

Paul D. Shan
Microcomputer and Personal Workstation Support
Center for Academic Computing
12 Willard Building
University Park, PA  16802
(814) 863-4356
PDS2@PSUVM.psu.edu

fearlof@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Peter Cadoret) (05/31/91)

bgebby@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brian P Gebby) writes:
> I've been sweating over this problem for a long time now.
> I have a 80286/12MHz system with 2MB of expanded memory and 1MB of
> onboard memory base.  The problem is Windows acknowledges the memory
> in real mode but won't acknowledge the memory in standard mode.
       This is because windows doesn't use expanded memory in standard
mode....(because it's too slow (or so it says in the user's guide)) The
best suggestion I can give is to reconfigure your BOCA board to give you
some extended memory...., but in any case I learned this fact the hard
way too...had to go out and buy a sort of real computer.....Fearlof

Peter Cadoret              fearlof@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

rudih@msb.com (Rudi Halbright) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May29.200439.27697@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> bgebby@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brian P Gebby) writes:
>Help!
>
>I've been sweating over this problem for a long time now.
>I have a 80286/12MHz system with 2MB of expanded memory and 1MB of
>onboard memory base.  The problem is Windows acknowledges the memory
>in Real Mode but it won't acknowledge the memory in Standard Mode.
>
>I have a BOCA AT Plus Memory Board with full LIM EMS 4.0 compatability
>and the HIMEM.YS driver provided with Windows 3.0.: 4/5/90 2.60.version.
>Dos date (from 'dir') -- 5/1/90. (which I heard was the crrect file to use.)
>
>Now I can't run Excel 3.0 and It's really getting aggraaating!
>
>Help!
>
>Brian Gebby                     | "The computer is like an Old Testament God,
>bgebby@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu|  lots of rules and little mercy." --
>aj583@po.cwru.edu               |                    John Campbell.

Are you configuring the memory as expanded?  If so, try to use windows without
using the EMM driver, that way all of the memory will be configured as
extended which is what you need to use standard mode.  Good luck!

Rudi Halbright
rudih@msb.com

user2@cgevs3.cem.msu.edu (Stephen Medlin) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May29.200439.27697@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, bgebby@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brian P Gebby) writes:
>Help!
>
>I've been sweating over this problem for a long time now.
>I have a 80286/12MHz system with 2MB of expanded memory and 1MB of
>onboard memory base.  The problem is Windows acknowledges the memory
>in Real Mode but it won't acknowledge the memory in Standard Mode.
>
>I have a BOCA AT Plus Memory Board with full LIM EMS 4.0 compatability
>and the HIMEM.YS driver provided with Windows 3.0.: 4/5/90 2.60.version.
>Dos date (from 'dir') -- 5/1/90. (which I heard was the crrect file to use.)
>
>Now I can't run Excel 3.0 and It's really getting aggraaating!

I have a BOCA AT Plus Memory board in my AT (4MB).  I had to make sure that I
went through the Boca Setup to let my computer know that what memory I had.
You have to (I am pretty sure) configure it all as Extended memory before
Windows will use it.  What I have done is use MBOOT (Multiple boot program from
PC-Mag) so that my computer will boot up with all Extended memory if I'm using
Windows or convert it to expanded memory if using non-Win program.  BTW, I
discovered that extended memory on the Boca board is significantly faster than
expanded memory.

Stephen Medlin

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/03/91)

   From: rudih@msb.com (Rudi Halbright)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.ms,comp.windows.misc
   Subject: Re: Cannot access EMS memory in Standard Mode!
   Date: 31 May 91 22:49:16 GMT

What does this have to do with window systems in general?  Please keep
MS Windows-specific discussions in comp.windows.ms!