[comp.windows.ms] Warning - dishonest company

dma@athena.mit.edu (Donny (Chung) Ma) (06/02/91)

                                WARNING

I would like to warn Windows 3.0 and MAC users who are looking for
accounting software to be wary of any dealings with Absolute Solutions,
Inc. (ASI), located in Oceanside, California.  ASI makes
accounting software based on the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.

I filed suit against ASI for dishonest practice.  On April 4 1991, a
judgment was made, for me, and against ASI.  The dishoest practice they
were charged with was: to make written and spoken money-back guarantees
and not honor them.  In my case, an ASI salesperson assured me that I
could use his company's product, "Computerized Classical Accounting"
(without a time limitation) and return it, if I'm not satisfied, for a
full refund.  After using their product for three weeks, I decided to
not keep it and wanted to return it. ASI refused to accept the return
and refused to issue me a refund.  Even after the judgment against them,
they do not want to reconcile the situation.  For reference, the court
case is Cambridge, Massachusetts District Court docket# S.C. 573/91.
ASI and its president, Richard Shaw may be held in contempt of court (a
hearing for this is scheduled for June 20).

Please forward this information to other Accountants or other business
professionals looking for or dealing with accounting software, as it
would serve them well to be aware of this situation.

I would also like to ask any knowledgeable people on this network
for advice on how I might be able to force/persuade ASI to make good
on their guarantee to me.  Some advice I've received and am considering:

(1) Transfer my Small Claims suit to the San Diego, CA court that would
have jurisdiction over Oceanside, in order to get a judgment there and
be able to directly execute a collection order out there.

(2) Continue to refuse to pay my AMEX bill (the product was purchased on
AMEX back in October 1990 -- I have disputed this charge with AMEX, but
they don't seem willing to act on my behalf and force ASI to reverse the
charge).  Further, an attorney advised me that I have protection under
the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act, in that it would be "unfair"
for AMEX to continue to bill me when they know full well that ASI has
acted dishonestly and it is therefore not my responsibility to pay
a charge from ASI.

(3) Hire a Private Investigator or Collection Agency or lawyer to go
after ASI's assets and forcefully obtain the funds, using my Court
Judgment as authority.

My consideration is that (1) is possible, but most probably require me
to appear in court in California, making the costs overwhelm the
possible gain.  (2) seems feasible for now, and is my best hope, but
is risky, since AMEX may decide to use legal means to force me to
pay the bill.  (3) is another case of costs outweighing the possible
gain, and the odds of it working are uncertain.

Are there any other approaches I may consider?  Does anyone know
about what Federal laws may apply in situation (2) that would protect
me as a consumer?  I wish I had purchased it on my Bank One
Visa Card, because their customer service is excellent, and there
were two other times in the past where they acted on my behalf to
force charge reversals from fraudulent, or otherwise "bad" charges.

Thanks for any information/suggestions you may have!

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/03/91)

   Newsgroups: comp.windows.ms,comp.windows.news,comp.windows.misc
   From: dma@athena.mit.edu (Donny (Chung) Ma)
   Subject: Warning - dishonest company
   Date: Sat, 1 Jun 91 23:37:25 GMT

While I can see how this may be of concern to users of window systems
in general (it affects both MS-Windows and Mac users, though the Mac
groups were left off the crosspost list), what relevance does it have
to users of the NeWS window system?  Please aim your crossposts
carefully!