[comp.windows.ms] Does W4W do shading?

carterp@deakin.OZ.AU (Phil Carter) (05/20/91)

I've just made the big move from Word 5.0 to Word for Windows.

But now I need to have paragraphs shaded and cannot find any reference
to it in W4W. How is it done? Don't tell me Microsoft forgot about it
and left it out.

--
  Phil Carter		  Computing Services Centre,
  Academic Programmer  	  Deakin University, Warrnambool campus

armil@pdn.paradyne.com (Steve Armil) (06/02/91)

In article <1325@sol.deakin.OZ.AU> carterp@deakin.OZ.AU (Phil Carter) writes:
>I've just made the big move from Word 5.0 to Word for Windows.
>
>But now I need to have paragraphs shaded and cannot find any reference
>to it in W4W. How is it done? Don't tell me Microsoft forgot about it
>and left it out.

There is a macro to do this.  I think it's in example.doc, which comes
with w4w.  Haven't tried it.

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun2.021852.16215@pdn.paradyne.com> armil@pdn.paradyne.com (Steve Armil) writes:
>In article <1325@sol.deakin.OZ.AU> carterp@deakin.OZ.AU (Phil Carter) writes:
>>I've just made the big move from Word 5.0 to Word for Windows.
>>
>>But now I need to have paragraphs shaded and cannot find any reference
>>to it in W4W. How is it done? Don't tell me Microsoft forgot about it
>>and left it out.
>
>There is a macro to do this.  I think it's in example.doc, which comes
>with w4w.  Haven't tried it.

The macro in Examples.doc only works with PostScript printers.

I wrote a macro to do this (pretty well, not perfect) using HP printers, it's
in a zip called GSHADE.ZIP.. Current version is 1.3.

carl@p4tustin.UUCP (Carl W. Bergerson) (06/03/91)

carterp@deakin.OZ.AU (Phil Carter) writes:
> I've just made the big move from Word 5.0 to Word for Windows.
>
> But now I need to have paragraphs shaded and cannot find any reference
> to it in W4W. How is it done? Don't tell me Microsoft forgot about it
> and left it out.

No, they didn't leave shading out - if you have a Postscript printer, that is.

They just made it tough to find. You need to open Examples.Doc and then
select Install for PostscriptShade. This will install a macro for you.

Problems with this approach are it isn't WYSIWYG, it's not part of the
style mechanism, and there is no support for non-Postscript printers.

BTW, WP shades on the HPLJ printers. Microsoft, are you listening?

Carl
--
Carl Bergerson                                           uunet!p4tustin!carl
Point 4 Data Corporation                                     carl@point4.com