[comp.windows.ms] PCNFS with packet drivers, and WNQVTNET

craige@pegasus.cc.deakin.OZ.AU (Craige Hicks) (06/04/91)

Has anybody been able to run Sun PCNFS (using packet drivers)
with other software using packet drivers.

Using pktstat, it appears that pktd.sys for PCNFS is 'snaffling' all
incoming packets (using int 0x60) and not allowing packets to be passed
onto other applications with higher interrupts.

If NFS is not started the other application can run, but after NFS is
started the other application doesn't get any packets!

I am using PCNFS (3.5),  pktd.sys (3.5), and WD8003E packet driver (9.0)
The other appliaction is a windows application: wnqvtnet

Any advice would be appreciated.

Criage Hicks
Deakin University Library
Deakin University Vic 3217
AUSTRALIA

cchapman@msd.gatech.edu (Chuck H. Chapman) (06/04/91)

In <1406@sol.deakin.OZ.AU> craige@pegasus.cc.deakin.OZ.AU (Craige Hicks) writes:

>Has anybody been able to run Sun PCNFS (using packet drivers)
>with other software using packet drivers.

>Using pktstat, it appears that pktd.sys for PCNFS is 'snaffling' all
>incoming packets (using int 0x60) and not allowing packets to be passed
>onto other applications with higher interrupts.

>If NFS is not started the other application can run, but after NFS is
>started the other application doesn't get any packets!

>I am using PCNFS (3.5),  pktd.sys (3.5), and WD8003E packet driver (9.0)
>The other appliaction is a windows application: wnqvtnet

I'm afraid that's just the way it works.  The packet driver will only let
one program at a time receive TCP/IP packets because apparently it has
no way of knowing which program wanted which packets.  I don't know why
this is the case -- I know very little about how packet stuff works.

Chuck

--
Charles H. Chapman  (GTRI/MATD)             (404) 528-7588
* Home of the 1990 National Champion Ga. Tech Yellow Jackets *