[comp.windows.ms] W4W

colfelt@news.colorado.edu (COLFELT ANDREW BRINTON W) (06/04/91)

Dave.DeGear@f22.n681.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Dave DeGear) writes:

>How can you get W4W to change headers and footers between
>sections of one document?  For example, if you have a
>chapter title as a header, how can you change it when you
>hit the next chapter?  How can you get the page numbers to
>start over with the next section is a variation of this
>question.

Simply format each section as a section.  Then the headers and footers (page
numbers) apply to the section and when you redefine headers and footers in
the next section, they will mated.

Highlight the section and then Format Section, Edit Header/Footer, etc.
You can link these things across sections by using the Link to Previous
function in the Edit Header/Footer section, if'n you want a section's
headers/footers to be the same for any two consecutive sections.

In fact, you could Define a Style for any CHAPTER and then apply the style to
each section and thus make it a CHAPTER.  If you change anything about the
style, all styles previously assigned that (style)name will change also.
This is an adjunct to the section question, btw.

Andrew BW Colfelt
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu____________________________________________________
Andrew BW Colfelt
colfelt@tramp.colorado.edu____________________________________________________

mathew@mantis.co.uk (Giving C News a *HUG*) (06/04/91)

Dave.DeGear@f22.n681.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Dave DeGear) writes:
> How can you get W4W to change headers and footers between
> sections of one document?  For example, if you have a
> chapter title as a header, how can you change it when you
> hit the next chapter?

See page 147 of the User's Reference.

>                       How can you get the page numbers to
> start over with the next section is a variation of this
> question.

Again, see page 147 of the User's Reference.

I just looked in the index under "chapter". Perhaps next time you could try
that rather than bothering the net?

mathew

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (06/05/91)

In article <9079.2849CD86@onebdos.oneb.wimsey.bc.ca> Dave.DeGear@f22.n681.z89.onebdos.UUCP (Dave DeGear) writes:
>How can you get W4W to change headers and footers between
>sections of one document?  For example, if you have a
>chapter title as a header, how can you change it when you
>hit the next chapter?  How can you get the page numbers to
>start over with the next section is a variation of this
>question.

To do what you ask is actually simple, and pretty elegant in WfW.
It requires that you insert a StyleRef field in the header (or
footer) with the formatting you desire.

And it requires that you have a style defined for Chapter headings
and that you have the chapter headings consistently formatted with
that style.

For instance, in a book I'm writing, I have heading 1 as Chapter Heading,
and heading 2 as Section.

So, I might have something like "Chapter One", "Laundry", the former
formatted as heading 1, the latter as heading 1.

In my header right aligned, I have:

{styleref heading 1} - {styleref heading 1}

And what prints is Chapter One - Laundry.

To enter a field either select Insert.Field, and pick the field from the
menu, or press Ctrl-F9 to enter field brackets and type the field name
and style name.

Note, this would also work if the name of the style were ChapeterHeading...

Hope this helps.