[comp.windows.ms] Windows 3.0 hangs after exit

Tapani.Otala@hut.fi (Tapani Otala) (06/04/91)

Any ideas why Windows 3.0 would consistently hang after exit?
After selecting Close in Program Manager, it clears the screen, returns
to text mode, and hangs.

My system is: 33MHz 80386, MS-DOS 4.01, 4M RAM, 124M hard disk,
Prisma VGATOP 1024 display adapter (in 1024x768x16 mode), and a
Intel Connection CoProcessor (there seems to be some problems with this
one as it is... could be some incompatibility problem with the 1M memory
on the VGA card)

Any hints/pointers/info appreciated, via e-mail if possible.  Thanks.

  -- k36853p@saha.hut.fi ------------- Am I not -- A fly like thee? --
    -- totala@finhutc.bitnet ------ Or art not thou -- A man like me? --
      -- SilentOne on IRC & Relay ------------ Tangerine Dream, "Tyger" --
        -- Tapani 'TpO' Otala ----------------------------- William Blake --

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (06/05/91)

Tapani.Otala@hut.fi (Tapani Otala) writes:

>Any ideas why Windows 3.0 would consistently hang after exit?
>After selecting Close in Program Manager, it clears the screen, returns
>to text mode, and hangs.

Try starting up windows with NO TSR's running anywhere, started either
before or after windows starts.  Don't start any applications.  Just close
down windows as soon as it comes up.  See if it hangs in this case.

One possible problem with a hang like this is that some other program was
doing some sort of trapping of interrupts or similar, and the sequence of
how things that were done get undone is not properly handled.

If this turns out to be the problem, then probably the real culprit is the
design of the BIOS and/or MS-DOS for not having provided all the necessary
services that would make it unnecessary for programs to play tricks with
interrupts and other things just to get the functionality their application
needs.  I have had to resort to such tricks too often myself.  I'd much
rather not do it, but it is either the only way, or the alternatives are
too damned slow.

>My system is: 33MHz 80386, MS-DOS 4.01, 4M RAM, 124M hard disk,
>Prisma VGATOP 1024 display adapter (in 1024x768x16 mode), and a
>Intel Connection CoProcessor (there seems to be some problems with this
>one as it is... could be some incompatibility problem with the 1M memory
>on the VGA card)

If you still get the hang with minimal startup and closedown of Windows,
then perhaps the driver for your VGA is suspect.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

cids05@vaxa.strath.ac.uk (@Dr Stephen K Tagg@) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.181923.2809@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:
> Tapani.Otala@hut.fi (Tapani Otala) writes:
>
>>Any ideas why Windows 3.0 would consistently hang after exit?
>>After selecting Close in Program Manager, it clears the screen, returns
>>to text mode, and hangs.
>>(there seems to be some problems with this
>>one as it is... could be some incompatibility problem with the 1M memory
>>on the VGA card)
>
> If you still get the hang with minimal startup and closedown of Windows,
> then perhaps the driver for your VGA is suspect.
I suggest memory management is probably at fault.
On my system I have some nasty memory (a once-a-day SIMM parity error - just
about bearable but I wish I could harden it up to make an engineer able to find
it!) which leads to UAE and similars. Typically I close everything down
successfully but when I get back to dos I get either
1) ERROR memory parity error - only half a line at the top of the screen
or
2) Compaints from QEMM386 5.11 about exception codes - usually then totally
unable to re-boot.

Quite stable within Windows (except for having spotted it with Enhanced mode
UAE) but totally no go when back to DOS.

Best of luck with the detection work....