[comp.windows.ms] Problem: SMARTDRV doesn't see SCSI drive partitions

add@sciences.sdsu.edu (Alexander Danton) (06/05/91)

	I can't get SMARTDRV.SYS or SWAPFILE.EXE to recognise my SCSI hard
disk.  I have a Future Domain TMC-885 using LDRIVE.SYS and no hard drives
installed in my CMOS BIOS setup.  I'm using v3.03 of SMARTDRV.SYS and have
been told to use the /B switch to turn off double-buffering, but SMARTDRV
doesn't recognise this switch.

	Am I missing something?  Do I need a different version of SMARTDRV.SYS?
Is there a file I need to obtain from Future Domain?

Thanks,
--

--------------------

add@sciences.sdsu.edu

antonio@qualcom.qualcomm.com (Franklin Antonio) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun5.033656.3537@sciences.sdsu.edu> add@sciences.sdsu.edu (Alexa
nder Danton) writes:
>	I can't get SMARTDRV.SYS or SWAPFILE.EXE to recognise my SCSI hard
>disk.  I have a Future Domain TMC-885 using LDRIVE.SYS and no hard drives
>installed in my CMOS BIOS setup.  I'm using v3.03 of SMARTDRV.SYS and ...
>	Am I missing something?

Yes.  SMARTDRV does not work with MOST bus-master SCSI controllers.  I just
had a lengthy exchange with Microsoft (via microsoft online) about this
subject.  (I have a Western Digital WD-7000 SCSI controller)  Finally, I got
the Microsoft folks in contact with the people who wrote the BIOS for that
disk controller, and suddenly the answer was obvious.  SMARTDRV will only
cache disk i/o that goes thru int 13.  Many SCSI drivers do not use int 13.

Last email from microsoft says they have no intention of supporting such
bus-master controllers.  This was obviously a bad decision, and I suspect
they will change that decision as these devices become more popular.

> Do I need a different version of SMARTDRV.SYS?

Yes.  You need a version that Microsoft has not written yet!  The nice
folks at Columbia Data Systems (who wrote the BIOS and drivers for the
Western Digital SCSI controller) suggested i try Flash Cache from Software
Matters 1-800-253-5274.  It appears to work for my configuration.  Maybe
it will work for you.