[comp.windows.ms] Help! HIMEM.SYS causes key presses to show up as DOUBLE

acidec@umbio.med.miami.edu (Artur Cideciyan) (06/04/91)

I use a 80286/12 MHz with 1 Meg of memory & ATI VGA wonder with built
in bus mouse. I am running DR DOS 5.0.

I load HIMEM.SYS only and nothing else, run Windows 3.0. It runs
in standard mode with about 620K at start up. In any one of the
Windows applications (e.g. Calculator) the keys pressed on the
keyboard sometimes show up DOUBLE ... as if a character is sent to
the window for both the press and the release of the key.

Interestingly, if I don't load HIMEM.SYS, Windows runs in real mode
with about 370K memory at start up and the doubling of the keys
pressed does NOT occur, everything work fine.

Any help on the possible reasons will be greatly appreciated.
I also would like to know what I can rule out ... e.g. DR DOS or
hardware or what.

Thanks in advance
Artur Cideciyan
acidec@umbio.med.miami.edu

gt0652b@prism.gatech.EDU (I don't know man, he was just here) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.175636.7779@news.miami.edu> acidec@umbio.med.miami.edu (Artur Cideciyan) writes:
>I use a 80286/12 MHz with 1 Meg of memory & ATI VGA wonder with built
>in bus mouse. I am running DR DOS 5.0.
>
>I load HIMEM.SYS only and nothing else, run Windows 3.0. It runs
>in standard mode with about 620K at start up. In any one of the
>Windows applications (e.g. Calculator) the keys pressed on the
>keyboard sometimes show up DOUBLE ... as if a character is sent to
>the window for both the press and the release of the key.

The problem doesn't seem to be with Himem.sys, but rather the fact
that windows is running in standard mode. In stanard mode the system
addresses all of the 1 meg of ram as specified in the specifications for
Protected Mode operation. My guess is that some hardware in your system
(maybe the bus mouse) is writing to a section of high ram used by windows.
Your mison, should you accept it, is to find confliction ram  and
exclud it from the extened memory used by himem sys and windows.

If you have replaced any equipment since you first installed windows,
try installing windows from scratch again. Windows is supposed to
be smart enough to catch little things like this.

If the truth won't set you free,
then lie!

Josh Guttman

--
***************************************** They are one person,
* Joshua Isaac Guttman	                * They are two alone,

jimmat@microsoft.UUCP (Jim MATHEWS) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun3.175636.7779@news.miami.edu> acidec@umbio.med.miami.edu (Artur Cideciyan) writes:
>I use a 80286/12 MHz with 1 Meg of memory...
>
>I load HIMEM.SYS only and nothing else, run Windows 3.0. It runs
>in standard mode with about 620K at start up. In any one of the
>Windows applications (e.g. Calculator) the keys pressed on the
>keyboard sometimes show up DOUBLE ... as if a character is sent to
>the window for both the press and the release of the key.

In Standard mode on a 286, Windows is frequently enabling and disabling
the A20 line.  On most AT compatible systems this requires sending
commands and data to the keyboard controller.  Some (usually older)
systems seem to get confused when a keypress and A20 command occur at the
same time--resulting in missing or duplicate keystrokes.  An updated
BIOS and/or keyboard controller (if available) might resolve the
problem.  Note that the vast majority of systems don't have this
problem.  Your mileage may vary...

Jim Mathews.   I speak only for myself, and I'm not even sure about that!