[comp.windows.ms] Question on XVT-Draw

mqvortru@iiic.ethz.ch (Michael Heide Qvortrup) (06/04/91)

I recently (about a month ago) got XVT-Draw from cica.cica.

Now, I seem to have a problem. Nothing works, I can't even draw
a simple line. Am I doing something wrong, or is my version somehow
corrupted?

I select a line thickness and colour plus a shape (in this case a line).
When I try to draw, the mouse cursor changes to a pen, but nothing else
happens. The screen comes up in a kind of half gray.

Thanks in advance for any responces.

Greetings,
--Mike

---------------------------------------
#include <std-disclm.h>

craick@titan.trl.OZ.AU (John Craick) (06/05/91)

mqvortru@iiic.ethz.ch (Michael Heide Qvortrup) writes:

>I recently (about a month ago) got XVT-Draw from cica.cica.

>Now, I seem to have a problem. Nothing works, I can't even draw
>a simple line. Am I doing something wrong, or is my version somehow
>corrupted?
etc, etc.

I've had EXACTLY the same experience

Has our evaluation period expired perhaps ??

- Any answers out there ?

Would be much appreciated.

John Craick

jmcn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J McNicol) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.012415.2150@trl.oz.au> craick@titan.trl.OZ.AU (John Craick) writes:
>mqvortru@iiic.ethz.ch (Michael Heide Qvortrup) writes:
>
>>I recently (about a month ago) got XVT-Draw from cica.cica.
>
>>Now, I seem to have a problem. Nothing works, I can't even draw
>>a simple line. Am I doing something wrong, or is my version somehow
>>corrupted?
>etc, etc.
>
>I've had EXACTLY the same experience
>
>- Any answers out there ?

I had the same mysterious problem, and got round it by loading an old
graphics file, deleting everything, and using it as a template for the
new file.  I also had problems making a bit-map of a largish picture,
so had to save the whole window and paste it into Paint.

Surely someone has come out with a cheap alternative to Corel by now?
I could do better drawings with my old Atari ST and a 70-quid drawing program
than with my current Windows setup!

Julian Smart
jmcn@castle.ed.ac.uk

akm@obelix.cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (06/07/91)

In article <10821@castle.ed.ac.uk> jmcn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J McNicol) writes:
>Surely someone has come out with a cheap alternative to Corel by now?
>I could do better drawings with my old Atari ST and a 70-quid drawing program
>than with my current Windows setup!

This *may* help. I have seen a program called Micrografx Draw Plus,
which used to run under Win 2.xx, which was their precursor to
Designer. I am not sure whether or not they upgraded it to run under
win3, but it is advertised by FastData (or FastMicro, or some such
name, ads in magazines like PC Week and PC Sources), for $148. If this
is indeed the upgraded version that runs under win3, then it would be
very good. I liked Draw Plus a lot, and it had all the features I
wanted, but nothing like getting fonts to fit a curve.

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Research Assistant, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/07/91)

In article <10821@castle.ed.ac.uk>, jmcn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J McNicol) writes:
> Surely someone has come out with a cheap alternative to Corel by now?
> I could do better drawings with my old Atari ST and a 70-quid drawing program
> than with my current Windows setup!
>
> Julian Smart
> jmcn@castle.ed.ac.uk

I spoke to Corel a while back, and suggested that if they were smart,
(not Julian Smart), they would come out with a low-end product to lure
people in, in the hopes that they would later upgrade to the full
Corel Draw product.  (They could call it Corel Scribble, I suppose).
They didn't seem particularly intrigued by the marketing strategy
I proposed.  (Of course, anyone that would put white guys doing
rap on a promotional video for a software product is obviously a few
bricks short of a load, anyway).
--
Clayton E. Cramer {uunet,pyramid}!optilink!cramer  My opinions, all mine!
They can have my urine sample when they pry it from my dead, cold fingers.