[comp.windows.ms] Ethernet communications for MS Windows

iroberts@pichem.adelaide.edu.au (Ian Roberts) (06/06/91)

Can some one help me?

I need a communications package that will allow me to connect to remote hosts
via ethernet within a MS Windows 3.0 window. Is this available?

I currently am using network software not fully supported by Windows 3.0 (PC-NFS
3.0.1). If I upgrade to PC-NFS 3.5 (claimed to be fully supported) and obtain a
suitable communications package (see above) will I be able to log in to a data
base on a remote host and collect selected data to a local file easily (perhaps
to another window)?

Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (06/07/91)

iroberts@pichem.adelaide.edu.au (Ian Roberts) writes:
>I currently am using network software not fully supported by Windows 3.0 (PC-NFS
>3.0.1). If I upgrade to PC-NFS 3.5 (claimed to be fully supported) and obtain a

Although Sun says PC-NFS 3.5 fully supports Windows 3.0, this is only
partially true.

>suitable communications package (see above) will I be able to log in to a data
>base on a remote host and collect selected data to a local file easily (perhaps
>to another window)?

Based on pictures I have seen of Sun's Advanced Telnet (I haven't used
PC-NFS for years, but I knew it pretty well. I just helped a member of
my group get his installation running after our central computing people
completely botched the install) it is not a Windows application.
However, you can still "cut" and "paste" from a DOS shell in Win3.

There are other people with better Windows support like Beame and Whiteside
and another company in Cupertino, CA whose name I forget at the moment.

--
There is no right to free speech when someone else is paying you.