[comp.windows.ms] Dumn Question: what is ega.sys?

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (06/05/91)

I've got a Trident 8900 card and the new hirez 256 color beta drivers.
During installation, setup insists that i need to load ega.sys.

I've experimented a little between loading it and not loading it, but
haven't seen much difference.

The startup screen looks like this:

EGA Device Driver Version 2.10.18
[copyright stuff]

Using default value of BCH for interrupt 2FH function calls.
Warning!! Overwriting an old copy of the EGA Device Driver.
A copy of the EGA Device Driver is being installed.

My interrupt list says:

----------2FBC00-----------------------------
INT 2F - Multiplex - Windows 3.0 EGA.SYS - INSTALLATION CHECK
        AX = BC00h
Return: AL = 00h not installed, OK to install
           = 01h not installed, not OK to install
           = FFh installed
                BX = 5456h ("TV")
Note:   AH=BCh is the default value, which may be changed by a command line
          parameter
----------2FBC06-----------------------------
INT 2F - Multiplex - MS Windows 3.0 EGA.SYS - ???
        AX = BC06h
Return: CX = 020Ah
        DL = 12h

So, what the hell does it do?

Incidentally, the "Warning!!" message goes away if i take out my Logitech
mouse.sys ver 5.0.

nye

dly@zeus.calpoly.edu (Dixon Duong Hien Ly) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.210335.20502@nntp-server.caltech.edu> nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) writes:
>I've got a Trident 8900 card and the new hirez 256 color beta drivers.
>During installation, setup insists that i need to load ega.sys.
>
>I've experimented a little between loading it and not loading it, but
>haven't seen much difference.
>
>The startup screen looks like this:
>
>EGA Device Driver Version 2.10.18
>[copyright stuff]
>
>Using default value of BCH for interrupt 2FH function calls.
>Warning!! Overwriting an old copy of the EGA Device Driver.
>A copy of the EGA Device Driver is being installed.
>

>Incidentally, the "Warning!!" message goes away if i take out my Logitech
>mouse.sys ver 5.0.

Let me side track a little.  I recently downloaded the Logiteck mouse ver 5.0
from cica.  I am having a lot of trouble using it.  For example, whenever
I start up WinQvt, the mouse gets disabled.
I  have the mouse hooked up on com1 and
I loaded the driver with:
	MOUSE
	LOGIMENU
	CLICK
I have tried disabling logimenu and click (like I did with the older version).
Still no solution.
I have the C9 serial with driver ver  4.something.

||  Dixon D. Ly               ||   GO GIANTS !!!???                         ||
||    dly@pan.calpoly.edu     ||   Lowell once had Four Horsemen            ||

P88036@BARILVM.BITNET (Ephraim Vider) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.210335.20502@nntp-server.caltech.edu>,
nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) says:

>I've got a Trident 8900 card and the new hirez 256 color beta drivers.
>During installation, setup insists that i need to load ega.sys.
>
>I've experimented a little between loading it and not loading it, but
>haven't seen much difference.
>
>The startup screen looks like this:
>
>EGA Device Driver Version 2.10.18
>[copyright stuff]
>
>Using default value of BCH for interrupt 2FH function calls.
>Warning!! Overwriting an old copy of the EGA Device Driver.
>A copy of the EGA Device Driver is being installed.
(interrupt info deleted... )

>Incidentally, the "Warning!!" message goes away if i take out my Logitech
>mouse.sys ver 5.0.
>
>nye

here is my understanding of EGA.SYS :

The ega card control registers are write only. A system like windows has
to save and restore the values in those registers for each dos application
it runs.

The EGA.SYS device driver intercepts writes to the registers
and saves the last values written. This information is then available
through some interrupt 10h service (around ah=F0 I think).

The availability of this service is indicated using an INT 2Fh code.
When EGA.SYS loads it checks if such a service is already installed.

Microsoft's mouse driver, and probably logitech's also, gives the same
service. EGA.SYS sees this as an older version and overwrites it.

BTW: If you load MS mouse driver after EGA.SYS, it detects the
EGA service and does not load this part of itself.
Try loading the logitech driver after EGA.SYS and it might save a few
bytes of memory.

I'm not sure if EGA.SYS is really needed on VGA systems, but the
mouse driver will load this service if there is no EGA.SYS, and I can't
get any extra bytes of memory, so I left it there...

-eff

Ephraim Vider                           BITNET:   p88036@barilvm
Bar Ilan University                     INTERNET: p88036@vm.biu.ac.il

jcwasik@PacBell.COM (Joe Wasik) (06/07/91)

In article nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) writes:
>I've got a Trident 8900 card and the new hirez 256 color beta drivers.
>During installation, setup insists that i need to load ega.sys.
>I've experimented a little between loading it and not loading it, but
>haven't seen much difference.
>The startup screen looks like this:
>EGA Device Driver Version 2.10.18

Is it possible that this is loading a copy of a ROM driver into RAM?  This
wouldn't be all that unusual.  Normally, such "Shadow RAM" should allow
your graphical applications to run faster.  In reality, many graphical
applications already do this on their own (e.g. Windows).

Unfortunately, I am not an expert, so corrections are welcomed.

--
Joe Wasik, Pac*Bell, 2600 Camino Ramon, Rm 4E750V, San Ramon, CA (415)823-2422
email: jcwasik@clib.PacBell.COM or [...]!pacbell!clib!jcwasik

mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (06/08/91)

In article nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) writes:
>I've got a Trident 8900 card and the new hirez 256 color beta drivers.
>During installation, setup insists that i need to load ega.sys.
>I've experimented a little between loading it and not loading it, but
>haven't seen much difference.
>The startup screen looks like this:
>EGA Device Driver Version 2.10.18

Well, at least you can *boot* with EGA.SYS.  My system (386sx/5Mb RAM,
Quadtel BIOS, Seagate SCSI drive, and Paradise VGA 1024 card w/512k)
crashes at boot-up when it gets to that line in my CONFIG.SYS!

I can use the 800x600x256 Paradise drivers here at CICA just fine (but
they're not too impressive in terms of speed) *without* EGA.SYS.  I
don't think any of the Zeniths in our office like EGA.SYS either.

Anyone else have trouble with EGA.SYS?  (And why the heck isn't it
called VGA.SYS?!  :-)

If we all had IBMs...  (Then what could we bitch about?)  :)

--

michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

gettys@regent.enet.dec.com (Bob Gettys N1BRM) (06/08/91)

In article <mr.676330596@ogre>, mr@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes...

>Anyone else have trouble with EGA.SYS?  (And why the heck isn't it
>called VGA.SYS?!  :-)
>
>If we all had IBMs...  (Then what could we bitch about?)  :)
>
>--
>
>michael regoli
>mr@cica.indiana.edu
>regoli@iubacs.BITNET
>...rutgers!iuvax!cica!mr

	It seems that windows setup isn't perfect (what else??) and it
mistakenly puts EGA.SYS into your CONFIG.SYS file. It definitely is NOT needed
for an SVGA board! In fact I have some driver readme's that tell you to delete
it after setup puts it there!

	So, just delete it from you CONFIG.SYS and proceed and things should
work just fine.

	The Paradise drivers cause it to show up, and I haven't had it my
CONFIG.SYS on three machines with no problems and things work correctly.

	/s/	Bob Gettys