[comp.windows.ms] move to form field marker in w4w

lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) (06/06/91)

my secretary, under word4dos, got into the habit of inserting left chevrons
throughout documents to enable jumping from area to area by using the CTRL-'>'
keystroke (move to form field marker).

we cannot figure how to do this jumping in w4w.

--
Lance R. Bailey  Systems Manager        box: Robarts Research Institute
          email: lrb@rri.uwo.ca              Clinical Trials Resources Group

gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) (06/07/91)

In article <3284@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) writes:
>my secretary, under word4dos, got into the habit of inserting left chevrons
>throughout documents to enable jumping from area to area by using the CTRL-'>'
>keystroke (move to form field marker).
>

>we cannot figure how to do this jumping in w4w.

Lance,

First off, know that WfW is much more closely related to Word for the MAC
than it is to Word for DOS.

The equivalent to a chevron (begin field) in WfDOS is an actual Field marker,
which is insserted with Ctrl-F9.  You could use this.  If you were going to
search for the next one it would be EditSearch .Search = "^19", or even
NextField (which is f11).  But since that would find all next fields, you
might want to create a pair of macros.  One that inserts a marker (it could
be formatted as Hidden so it won't print), and one that looks for the next
occurence of that marker:

InsertMarker:
Sub Main
Hidden Hidden() ' Toggle Hidden
Insert "Holder"
Hidden Hidden()
End Sub

FindMarker
Sub Main
ViewPreferences .Hidden = 1 'Make sure hidden is on
EditSearch .Search = "PlaceHolder"
End Sub

You can then assign them both to a menu and/or a key combination,

The built in MacroAssignToKey will not allow you to assign to Ctrl->,
but a macro I wrote called MacroKey (found in GTOOLS2.ZIP) will (or
you can write a macro to assign the macro...look up MacroAssignToKey
in the TechRef, or Techref.doc)

Hope this points in a helpful direction.

larry@palan.uucp (Larry Strickland) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.045532.5742@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> gg2@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Guy Gallo) writes:
>In article <3284@ria.ccs.uwo.ca> lrb@alex.ctrg.rri.uwo.ca (Lance R. Bailey) writes:
>>my secretary, under word4dos, got into the habit of inserting left chevrons
>>throughout documents to enable jumping from area to area by using the CTRL-'>'
>>keystroke (move to form field marker).
>First off, know that WfW is much more closely related to Word for the MAC
>than it is to Word for DOS.
>
>The equivalent to a chevron (begin field) in WfDOS is an actual Field marker,
>which is insserted with Ctrl-F9.

If I might jump in here just a bit.  It sounds like you are using DOS Word
'fields' for a fill-in form.  This is one nice bit that wasn't in the Mac Word
(too bad, too).

However, there is an auto FILLIN (I think) field that will do the equivalent
for you in WfW.  You insert the FILLIN fields (use the Insert/Field menu and
select FILLIN (or whatever you see is close to that) in the location in your
document where you want a filled in item.  There are more arguments for prompts
and so forth, see the manual.

Now, to fill-in the form, load it up (best saved as a template first for easy
modification) and do the Update Field operation, F9.  You should see dialog
boxes for each fillin field asking you for appropriate information.  When done,
save or print as usual.

Disclaimer:  I'm doing this from memory, so the names may have been changed to
protect the guilty.  It DOES work, though.

-larry