[comp.windows.ms] .BMP format

reilly@bnlux0.bnl.gov (kevin reilly) (06/13/90)

Hello,
	Once again I would like to ask anyone out there who knows of the
windows 3.0 .BMP format. An explanation similar to Petzold would be
appreciated.
	A Mr. Ken Sykes suggested I buy the SDK. I think he works for MS
or has 100 shares. I really can't afford it. What I hope to do is save
screen dumps in .BMP format.
	Thank you once again.
Kevin M. Reilly

mms00786@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/13/90)

Ok, so is the win 3.0 SDK available or not?

Milan

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (06/14/90)

In article <1932@bnlux0.bnl.gov> reilly@bnlux0.bnl.gov (kevin reilly) writes:
>Hello,
>	Once again I would like to ask anyone out there who knows of the
>windows 3.0 .BMP format. An explanation similar to Petzold would be
>appreciated.
>	A Mr. Ken Sykes suggested I buy the SDK. I think he works for MS
>or has 100 shares. I really can't afford it. What I hope to do is save
>screen dumps in .BMP format.
>	Thank you once again.
>Kevin M. Reilly

I believe that these are in the same format... I have moved the windows
chess.bmp file to my OS/2 machine, and used it in a number of bitmap manipulation
programs.... Charles Petzold gives a good description, if you need more, I
can probably quote you the format from the OS/2 Programmer's Manual...

Good Luck...
Steve

Steve Resnick -<stever@octopus.COM apple!octopus!stever sun!vsi1!octopus!stever>
408/241-1533 Process Scientific, Inc.

batess@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Stefan Bates) (06/07/91)

Could someone please e-mail me a description of the windows .BMP picture
format. I'm only at this address for two weeks so please don't delay :-)

Stef

P.S. I can't ftp it...help!

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/08/91)

In article <batess.676299349@p4.cs.man.ac.uk> batess@p4.cs.man.ac.uk (Stefan Bates) writes:

   Could someone please e-mail me a description of the windows .BMP picture
   format. I'm only at this address for two weeks so please don't delay :-)

   Stef

   P.S. I can't ftp it...help!
Two pointers to the BMP format.

1.  The SDK documentation.  My book is titled Microsoft Windows
Programmer's Reference.  About $35 at a local discount book store.

2.  PC Mag.  Starting 1 or 2 issues ago and still continuing in
Petzold's column is a good discussion about windows bitmaps and their
formats.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov