[comp.windows.ms] command.com in window size

cohen@brodmann.iaf.uiowa.edu (Gregg Cohe) (05/31/91)

I have command.com in a window and I have noted that the window opens to a
reasonable size and then contracts to an almost ridiculously small size.  What
variable in which file do I change that controls the size and font in windows
like this.
I am using win 3.0
cardinal vga700 in 1024x768x256 mode
80386 25 MHz (sorry, no cache)
DOS 3.3

Thanks
GC
.

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (05/31/91)

In article <6279@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> cohen@brodmann.iaf.uiowa.edu (Gregg Cohe) writes:
>I have command.com in a window and I have noted that the window opens to a
>reasonable size and then contracts to an almost ridiculously small size.  What
>variable in which file do I change that controls the size and font in windows
>like this.

In my experience, the INITIAL size of a DOSapp window in enhanced mode
is however many rows you had up the LAST time you were in DOS -- whether
before Windows was invoked or in the last DOSapp.  So if you switch to
43 line mode before starting Windows, you will see windowed DOSapps
starting up with 43 lines briefly before they switch into whatever mode
they really want to use.

It may be more complicated than this, the above is just my empirical
observation.  There doesn't seem to be any official documentation on
Win3's behavior in this department.  What I have learned to do is start
any DOSapp needing other than 80x25 in Full screen mode, and switch it
down to a window afterward if needed.

kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) (06/04/91)

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

>In article <6279@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> cohen@brodmann.iaf.uiowa.edu (Gregg Cohe) writes:
>>I have command.com in a window and I have noted that the window opens to a
>>reasonable size and then contracts to an almost ridiculously small size.  What
>>variable in which file do I change that controls the size and font in windows
>>like this.

>In my experience, the INITIAL size of a DOSapp window in enhanced mode
>is however many rows you had up the LAST time you were in DOS -- whether
>before Windows was invoked or in the last DOSapp.  So if you switch to

My experience is not the same.  I always run DOs in 25 line mode
because of my eyes.  Thus, it should never swith to 43 line mode.  What
seems to be happening is that windows normally runs in 640x480 mode and
this seems to predetermine the size of the DOS window relative to what
it should be if Windows was in 640x480 mode.  However, I run windows in
800x600 mode and thus DOS windows come up sized for a standard 640x480
and then shrink to fit the newere dimensions of the 800x600.

I just tried switching to 640x480 mode and running a dos window and it
didn't shrink.  Let met try 1024x768 mode .....

Yep, it shrank really small.

Maybe this isn't what's going on and I can't think of why this should
happen from a technical standpoint but from an observational point this
is what seems to be happening.

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc}!atha!kevinc

pshuang@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (06/10/91)

In article <kevinc.676049497@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca> kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes:

 > Maybe this isn't what's going on and I can't think of why this should
 > happen from a technical standpoint but from an observational point this
 > is what seems to be happening.

When you run a DOS application in a window, Windows uses fixed-sized
fonts to display the characters in that window.  Suppose you have a
1024x768 display and open a standard COMMAND.COM window, which would be
displaying 80x25 text.  Windows probably is using a screen font whose
matrix size is about 8x16 (standard VGA font size), which means the
80x25 text screen is being represented by a 640x400 bitmap window, which
would fill just about the entire screen on a standard VGA display, but
only half the screen on a 800x600 display and even less on 1024x768.
If you look in your SYSTEM.INI file, you'll see some references to fonts
(cannot recall the exact header of the right section) which determines
the default font Windows uses.  You can modify this selection; if you
choose to have Windows use the EGA fonts or the 8514/A fonts, for
example, the window containing COMMAND.COM will vary in size.

Singing off,
UNIX:/etc/ping instantiated (Ping Huang).