[comp.windows.ms] Windows3 .GRP file format

ebbe@clinet.fi (Ebbe Jonsson) (06/03/91)

	Being a novice to Windows programming and having, in the course of
a project, to write a windows-based Install program, I've come up against a
wall:
	I need to create a new group file in Program Manager, and place a
certain number of icons/files into that group. In all the litterature I have
been able to access there's no reference to the .GRP file format; I've
tried to do file comparisons between two slightly different groups, but to
no avail.

	If anyone out there could give me some pointers as to where to look
for .GRP file information, I would be very grateful. Please mail your response,
I tend to lose large volumes of mail because of a storage size problem at this
site.

Ebbe Jonsson                   ebbe@clinet.fi
Maruddsstrand 17               {uunet}!clinet!ebbe
SF-00930 HELSINGFORS           ebbe@f8.n220.z2.fidonet.org

donnel@helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.082252.5193@clinet.fi> ebbe@clinet.fi (Ebbe Jonsson) writes:
->
[...]
->--
->-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
->Ebbe Jonsson                   ebbe@clinet.fi
->Maruddsstrand 17               {uunet}!clinet!ebbe
>SF-00930 HELSINGFORS           ebbe@f8.n220.z2.fidonet.org

	The best way to do this is to make the group file on your computer and
copy it to the install disk.  Then write a little utility that copies the .grp
file to the directory that your program uses and that modifies the progman.ini
file to add the gropu to the list of groups.  That is:

[Groups]
Group1=C:\WINDOWS\ONE.GRP
Group2=C:\WINDOWS\TWO.GRP
Group3=C:\WINDOWS\THREE.GRP
Group..=C:\WINDOWS\(etc>).GRP
GroupN=C:\WINDOWS\N.GRP     <- This is the last current group
GroupN+1:\WINDOWS\N+1.GRP   <- This is your group

Notice: you will have to parse progman.ini to find the number of groups and
then add one to it to get the value your group should have.

If your initialization program has the option of several types of group
seteps, place each different setup in a different .grp file and at setup
time, copy over the appropriate .grp file.

Best regards,
Don Lehn
donnel@helix.nih.gov

ergo@netcom.COM (Isaac Rabinovitch) (06/10/91)

In <1991Jun3.082252.5193@clinet.fi> ebbe@clinet.fi (Ebbe Jonsson) writes:

>	Being a novice to Windows programming and having, in the course of
>a project, to write a windows-based Install program, I've come up against a
>wall:
>	I need to create a new group file in Program Manager, and place a
>certain number of icons/files into that group. In all the litterature I have
>been able to access there's no reference to the .GRP file format; I've
>tried to do file comparisons between two slightly different groups, but to
>no avail.

I just bought a book that devotes a lot of space to exactly this kind
of program.  Includes complete source code to an example "Install"
program that manipulates the PM through DDE, and you can get disks
with the source code on it.  The coding style is exceedingly weird
(all global variable names begin with "_"!) but it's still very
instructive material.

	Richter, Jeffrey.
	Windows 3: a developer's guide
	M&T Books
	501 Galveston Drive
	Redwood City, CA  94063

Lots of other good stuff too, some of it very obscure.
--

	ergo@netcom.com 			Isaac Rabinovitch
	netcom!ergo@apple.com			Silicon Valley, CA

  "You might well think that... I couldn't possibly comment."