[comp.windows.ms] HyperDisk

einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) (03/01/91)

I have seen some writeups in public domain catalogues
about a SMARTDRIVE replacement called HYPERDISK.
Can anyone place it on cica?  And is it safer than
SMARTDRIVE on hard drives using the DMDRVR.SYS from
ONTRACK?  Is it worth using with windows?  Right now
I'm afraid to use ANY disk cache with WINDOWS 3.0.

Thanks for your help.

Emc2

Joe Sample - University of Merryland, College Park
jsample@wam.umd.edu (This is a sample signature file)

lair@ellis.uchicago.edu (Scott A. Laird) (03/01/91)

In article <1991Mar1.050636.4410@wam.umd.edu> einstein@wam.umd.edu (Daniel J. Levine) writes:
>I have seen some writeups in public domain catalogues
>about a SMARTDRIVE replacement called HYPERDISK.
>Can anyone place it on cica?  And is it safer than
>SMARTDRIVE on hard drives using the DMDRVR.SYS from
>ONTRACK?  Is it worth using with windows?  Right now
>I'm afraid to use ANY disk cache with WINDOWS 3.0.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Emc2
>
>--
>Joe Sample - University of Merryland, College Park
>jsample@wam.umd.edu (This is a sample signature file)

Hyperdisk 4.20 can be found on simtel in the pd1:<msdos.dskutl> directory
with the name hydk420.zip.  Generally, the easiest way to get a file on
simtel is to use a mirror site, such as wuarchive.wustl.edu at Washington
University in St. Louis.  It's found there in the /mirrors/msdos/dskutl
directory.  There is also a mirror site in Australia, but I don't have its
name handy at the moment.

While you're getting Hyperdisk, get the file simibm.arc, in the filedocs
directory. It contains a list of all the files there, and runs about 530k at
the moment.  It'll save you some effort in the future when trying to find
software.

I've used Hyperdisk, and yes, it works with Disk Manager.  The manual claims
that it with work with Disk Manager, Speedstor, and possibly Everex's own
utility that accomplishes the same thing.

Smartdrive won't work on my system because of Disk Manager, but I've compared
Hyperdisk to the ncache-s utility that comes with Norton 5.0, and Hyperdisk is
significantly faster.

I'm not sure which version of Hyperdisk you know about, but one of the new
features of version 4.20 is the ability to reduce cache size when using
Windows, just like Smartdrive, to free up more memory for windows.  It seems
to work, but I haven't done any tests on performance on my system.

The staged write feature of Hyperdisk is really nice when dealing with floppy
disks, because it allows you to write a file to the disk and immediatly
return to the command line, while the cache program continues writing the
file to the disk.  It flies, but can be a bit hazardous the health if your
computer is prone to crashing, because the cache can be set to wait a while
before writing, to allow any reads to procede as without delay.

Hyperdisk is full of options, with several methods for doing just about
everything, from the fastest to the safest, usually with several options in
the middle.  With extended memory, for instance, it can use XMS, the BIOS
call, or a method of its own, for speed.  When I did a little test, using
a disk speed test called disktest that I found on simtel, it actually claimed
better disk transfer speeds that Microsoft's XMS test program.  Of course,
the disk speed test program seems to be actually cache-optimized to help
sell whatever the authors were trying to sell, but it still says something
about Hyperdisk.  Just to save myself from flames, this wasn't by any means
a real world test, as I had just about every speed option on the cache set,
and I don't think it acessed the disk until the test was over...

All together, it seems to do a pretty good job as a cache, and if I had the
memory to spare for a cache, it'd be the one I'd use.  Maybe when we get
DOS 5.0 I'll have room...

I hope this helps you.

BTW, I have no connection with any of the authors of any of the programs
discussed above.
--
Scott A. Laird            |  Any semblance of the above to anything is purely
lair@midway.uchicago.edu  |  coincidental, as it was the result of an infinite
                          |  for the afternoon.

aa41@terre (Eric Trepanier) (06/06/91)

I followed the latest SmartDrv vs HyperDisk debate with much interest.
Certain articles in favor of HyperDisk led me to give it a try and find out
for myself.  So I got a copy from Simtel and unzipped it.

Installing it was an easy task.  I set it up to use HYPER386.EXE, which
seemed to fit best with my system configuration (386/33 Compatible w/4Mb).
I then rebooted and except from the nagging screen, everything looked A-OK.

Holding my breath, I booted Windows...  And found myself in Real mode.
Ok so I realized HYPER386 had to be using all my extended memory and hadn't
released it, so I went back to DOS, found info on HYPER386's parameters and
reset it so as to use 1Mb, (N:1024).  Reboot PC, Reboot Windows.  This time,
I made it through in 386 enhanced.  However, I had read in the News that
Hyperdisk was supposed to release memory when entering Windows (ala Smartdrv).
So I looked in HyperDsk directory and found win3note.txt.  This text file
basically said to use Hyper286/386 with Himem, and HyperDKX with QEMM.
So I switched to HyperDKX (since I use QEMM), and used the N:1024:512 parameter
which was suppose to force HDK to release 512kb upon entering windows.

This time, windows woudn't boot.  I got a PAGING ERROR after seeing the
microsoft logo, and went back to DOS.

So now, I'm using Hyper386 with no memory release option.  As far I can see,
it's working fine, and it does make a visible difference from SmartDrv.
I'll give a try for a few weeks to see if it's reliable.  I will then decide
wether it's worth registering.

Has anyone had any success configuring HDK with QEMM512 and memory release
options?  What are the best settings on a 4Mb system?

Thanks in advance.

--
Handy Guide To Modern Science:                   |   Eric Trepanier
  1.  If it's green or it wiggles, it's biology. |   eric@tgm.Sherb.CAM.ORG

cad16@ccad12.icaen.uiowa.edu (CCAD student account) (06/06/91)

From article <1991Jun5.205315.8938@DMI.USherb.CA>, by aa41@terre (Eric Trepanier):
> I followed the latest SmartDrv vs HyperDisk debate with much interest.
> Certain articles in favor of HyperDisk led me to give it a try and find out
> for myself.  So I got a copy from Simtel and unzipped it.

[ discussion delete ]

> Has anyone had any success configuring HDK with QEMM512 and memory release
> options?  What are the best settings on a 4Mb system?

I have.  I don't use it 'cause it always screws something up so
I get some message like "packed file corrupt" when trying to
run executables (DOS type) after it runs for a while.  Who knows why,
I've seen references to this.  Anyway, I used HYPERDKX.EXE with
c:1024:512 and X (to load it into my C&T upper memory block).  It
all worked fine in general.  No goofiness, no nothin'.  Matter of
fact, it even co-existed with PC-NFS and Windows in 386 mode.  No small
matter, mind you.  If necessary, I can mail my config.sys and autoexec
files so you can see what's what.

BTW, i solved the "packed file corrupt" problem by calling hyperdk.exe
and asking it to halv the memory for the cache, then again to set it
back to full, then the packed exe's come out ok.  I don't know if
this is a EXEPACK type problem or HYPERDISK, but its there.

Mail me at cadsi@cadfx.ccad.uiowa.edu (128.255.12.10) if you want my
QEMM settings and HYPERDISK too.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) (06/06/91)

I think that you should be using the C:1536 CW:1024 parameters to specify
how much memory to use without Windows (C:) and within windows (CW:).

I don't use the N: parameter so I don't know how/if this is affecting you.

On a 4 meg machine, I'd use 2 to 2.5 mb when not in windows, and 1 to 1.5mb
when in windows.  Remember that in order for Hyperdkx to dynamically release
memory back to Windows when Windows requires it, you must start Windows with
the /3 option, even if this is normally your default (ie, always start Windows
with 'WIN /3').

Doug Parsons.

P.S.  If you have QEMM, and enough room, you can loadhi hyperdkx.sys and
save more base memory.

Wonderful program.  Even works in Dos 5.0.

Doug.

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.205315.8938@DMI.USherb.CA> aa41@terre (Eric Trepanier) writes:

>Has anyone had any success configuring HDK with QEMM512 and memory release
>options?  What are the best settings on a 4Mb system?

I think the memory release function should  work w/o QEMM512. At least
it works for me.  But I am using HYDK386. BTW,  I  think you can force
Windows  to enhanced mode  when using  this  memory release  option by
starting Windows with command win/3. This wasn't obvious for me...

--
== Harri Valkama, University of Vaasa, Finland ============================
 P.O. Box 700, 65101 VAASA, Finland (tel:+358 61 248426 fax:+358 61 248465)

jay@iscnvx.uucp (Jay D Ward) (06/08/91)

In article <2770026@hparc0.HP.COM> doug@hparc0.HP.COM (Doug Parsons) writes:
>I think that you should be using the C:1536 CW:1024 parameters to specify
>how much memory to use without Windows (C:) and within windows (CW:).
>
>I don't use the N: parameter so I don't know how/if this is affecting you.
>
>On a 4 meg machine, I'd use 2 to 2.5 mb when not in windows, and 1 to 1.5mb
>when in windows.  Remember that in order for Hyperdkx to dynamically release
>memory back to Windows when Windows requires it, you must start Windows with
>the /3 option, even if this is normally your default (ie, always start Windows
>with 'WIN /3').
>
>Doug Parsons.
>
>P.S.  If you have QEMM, and enough room, you can loadhi hyperdkx.sys and
>save more base memory.

Be careful!!  According to the author of HyperDisk, it needs a whole
64k segment in order to test and initialize it's buffers. If it
doesn't have enough memory, it will appear to function, but it will
actually be disbled!  The registered version can be loaded high via
the "xs" parameter, which works with QEMM or the C&T bios w/o QEMM.

>Wonderful program.  Even works in Dos 5.0.
>
>Doug.

I agree, MUCH faster than smartdrv when the advanced write option is enabled.
But don't touch that floppy before the light goes out! You definately won't
be in FAT city...
---------------------

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.173530.27497@iscnvx.uucp> jay@iscnvx.uucp (Jay D Ward) writes:

>Be careful!!  According to the author of HyperDisk, it needs a whole
>64k segment in order to test and initialize it's buffers. If it
>doesn't have enough memory, it will appear to function, but it will
>actually be disbled!

Are you saying that you cannot even rely on hyperdk's report
to tell whether hyperdisk is functioning or not?

>                      The registered version can be loaded high via
>the "xs" parameter, which works with QEMM or the C&T bios w/o QEMM.

Nowhere in the online manual does the author mention something
about disabling the XS feature in the unregistered version.
Am I missing something here?

--
Victor Menayang         victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Internet)
                                           vm@UTXVM (BITNET)

jay@iscnvx.uucp (Jay D Ward) (06/10/91)

In article <50211@ut-emx.uucp> victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) writes:
>In article <1991Jun7.173530.27497@iscnvx.uucp> jay@iscnvx.uucp (Jay D Ward) writes:
>>
>>Be careful!!  According to the author of HyperDisk, it needs a whole
>>64k segment in order to test and initialize it's buffers. If it
>>doesn't have enough memory, it will appear to function, but it will
>>actually be disbled!
>
>Are you saying that you cannot even rely on hyperdk's report
>to tell whether hyperdisk is functioning or not?

No, I'm saying that there is no indication of an error when it initializes.
You won't realize that it's not working until you run hyperdk.

>>                      The registered version can be loaded high via
>>the "xs" parameter, which works with QEMM or the C&T bios w/o QEMM.
>
>Nowhere in the online manual does the author mention something
>about disabling the XS feature in the unregistered version.
>Am I missing something here?

That was definately the case with version 4.11. I haven't
upgraded to 4.2 yet, so maybe that has changed.

Jay D. Ward,  jay@iscnvx.lmsc.lockheed.com