[comp.windows.ms] unmoveble blocks in Norton Speed disk

own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) (05/25/91)

Some time ago there was some talk (panic) about large chunks of some
peoples hard disks being highlighted as "unmoveable" when trying to
unfragment the disk with Norton Speed disk.  Did anyone ever figure why
this happens? At the time people thought it was a Windows shareware
utility, though I think this was later disproved.  Though I have no
clear idea why this is happening, I suspect it has something to do with
Windows 3.

I'm only asking because I just did an SD, and virtually the whole of my
hard disk is marked as "unmoveable blocks", which isn't very reassuring.

Does anyone know why this happens (I thought only hidden and system
files where unmoveable) and how to cure the problem?

Olly  Morgan
 Olly Morgan @ Scottish Agricultural College,  Edinburgh EH9 2HH, Scotland
               Tel: (+44 31) 662 4395          E.Mail: O.Morgan@ed.ac.uk

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (05/26/91)

In article <10545@castle.ed.ac.uk>, own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) writes:
|> Some time ago there was some talk (panic) about large chunks of some
|> peoples hard disks being highlighted as "unmoveable" when trying to
|> unfragment the disk with Norton Speed disk.  Did anyone ever figure why
|> this happens? At the time people thought it was a Windows shareware
|> utility, though I think this was later disproved.  Though I have no
|> clear idea why this is happening, I suspect it has something to do with
|> Windows 3.
|>
|> Does anyone know why this happens (I thought only hidden and system
|> files where unmoveable) and how to cure the problem?

Norton's SD also marks as unmovable any free unlinked chains. Try
running CHKDSK /F (or NDD) before you run SD.
--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (05/26/91)

In article <10545@castle.ed.ac.uk> own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) writes:
>Some time ago there was some talk (panic) about large chunks of some
>peoples hard disks being highlighted as "unmoveable" when trying to
>unfragment the disk with Norton Speed disk.  Did anyone ever figure why
>this happens? At the time people thought it was a Windows shareware
>utility, though I think this was later disproved.  Though I have no
>clear idea why this is happening, I suspect it has something to do with
>Windows 3.
>
>I'm only asking because I just did an SD, and virtually the whole of my
>hard disk is marked as "unmoveable blocks", which isn't very reassuring.
>
>Does anyone know why this happens (I thought only hidden and system
>files where unmoveable) and how to cure the problem?

What you're saying sounds right. Only hidden and system (and read only maybe)
files are unmovable PLUS any others you tell norton are unmovable. Theres an
option On the menu to display unmovable files. You may find some surprises in
there!

Another point is that you cuold have 1 large unmovable file that is very
fragmented and norton will show each block that the file resides in as
unmovable when in fact it will move part of that block. When displaying the
screen, an unmovable cluster takes prefernece over an unused or used cluster
in the same block.

|/
|\evin

kumarr@hparc0.HP.COM (Kumar Rangan) (05/26/91)

>Some time ago there was some talk (panic) about large chunks of some
>peoples hard disks being highlighted as "unmoveable" when trying to
>unfragment the disk with Norton Speed disk.  Did anyone ever figure why
>this happens? At the time people thought it was a Windows shareware
>utility, though I think this was later disproved.  Though I have no
>clear idea why this is happening, I suspect it has something to do with
>Windows 3.
 Olly Morgan @ Scottish Agricultural College,  Edinburgh EH9 2HH, Scotland
               Tel: (+44 31) 662 4395          E.Mail: O.Morgan@ed.ac.uk

Was the PC using a permanent swap file for win 3, enh mode ? If so, the
swap file will appear as an "unmovable block" in SD.

*  Kumar "If it aint broke, dont fix it!" Rangan                            *
*  HP Wellington                Internet   : kumarr@hparc0.aus.hp.com       *
*  New Zealand                  Compuserve : 76320,532 (not visited often)  *
*  Phone : +64 4 820400         HP Desk    : Kumar Rangan/hp9781/01         *

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (05/28/91)

In article <10545@castle.ed.ac.uk>, own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) writes:
> Some time ago there was some talk (panic) about large chunks of some
> peoples hard disks being highlighted as "unmoveable" when trying to
> unfragment the disk with Norton Speed disk. [...]

Some executables with "strange" formats are also marked as unmovable.  I
noticed this with the self-extracting LHarc version 1.13c (1989), which
could be moved only when renamed to another extention.

Do windows executables have an unusual structure, which is not recognized by
earlier versions of Norton's SD?

G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (05/29/91)

I suggest that you should run CHKDSK to check if there are any
hidden, read-only, or   system files corresponding the drive
that contains "unmoveble blocks".  If there are indeed existing
hidden, read-only, or system file(s), just change the
attribute, and run Speed Disk again.  "Unmoveble blocks" then
become "moveble blocks".

Forget about this if the above doesn't appeal to your case.
Good luck.

Eddie Wu

mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) (05/29/91)

As I recall, Norton Speed Disk (quite properly) marks a permanent swapfile
as unmovable.  Unless you have a HUGE swapfile this wouldn't explain why
almost yr whole disk was unmovable, but it could be part of it.  You didn't
try to run SD WITHIN Windows, did you??? (That could have very undesirable
results, I understand...)

Michael Flory (mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu)

jcohen@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Josh Cohen [890918]) (05/29/91)

keep in mind also, that the Windows Permanent Swap File is unmoveable..
so you will see a (huge) block of contigous nonmoveable space...

jcohen@scarecrow.csee.lehigh.edu

jta@locus.com (JT Anderson) (05/29/91)

I don't know if this is true for the current version of Norton
Speed Disk, but it used to think that the Windows program MSDOS.EXE
was an unmoveable file.  (MSDOS.EXE is the MS-DOS Executive for Windows
1.x and 2.x.  It is included with Windows 3, but rarely used.)

rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no (Rodrigo Lopez) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.140354.446@sc2a.unige.ch>, fisher@sc2a.unige.ch writes:
> In article <10545@castle.ed.ac.uk>, own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) writes:
> > Some time ago there was some talk (panic) about large chunks of some
> > peoples hard disks being highlighted as "unmoveable" when trying to
> > unfragment the disk with Norton Speed disk. [...]
>
> Some executables with "strange" formats are also marked as unmovable.  I
> noticed this with the self-extracting LHarc version 1.13c (1989), which
> could be moved only when renamed to another extention.
>
> Do windows executables have an unusual structure, which is not recognized by
> earlier versions of Norton's SD?
 If you are running windows 3.0 in 386 enh mode you are probably using a
swap disk and
more likely, this one is PERMANENT. This means its unmovable and NU SD
will identify it
as such. A good idea is to get rid of this permanent swap file before
optimizing the disk.
Then, after optimalization, re-create it.

****
* RODRIGO LOPEZ SERRANO              Biotechnology Centre of Oslo
*
* Tel: xx-02-958766                  Gaustadalleen 21
*
* Fax: xx-02-694130                  P.B. 1125 Blindern
*
*                                    0316 Oslo 3 Norway
*
* rodrigol@biomed.uio.no
*
* rodrigol@ulrik.uio.no
*
****

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (05/30/91)

jta@locus.com (JT Anderson) writes:

>I don't know if this is true for the current version of Norton
>Speed Disk, but it used to think that the Windows program MSDOS.EXE
>was an unmoveable file.  (MSDOS.EXE is the MS-DOS Executive for Windows
>1.x and 2.x.  It is included with Windows 3, but rarely used.)

...but the copy of MSDOS.EXE which came with Windows 286/386 was a
dummy file which did not look like a real .EXE structure.  The copy
you get with Windows 3 is a gen-u-ine executable Windows app.  Norton
Speed Disk was apparently set up to not move invalid .EXE files because
some programs used them for security.

Incidentally, the MSDOS.EXE file in WIN3 can be added to a menu (it has
its own icon of a 5-1/4" disk) and provides much of the functionality of
the File Manager with significantly less overhead.  I keep both in my
MAIN display, choosing whichever is appropriate for what I'm doing.

Joe

andyross@infopls.chi.il.us (Andrew Rossmann) (05/31/91)

mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) writes:

> As I recall, Norton Speed Disk (quite properly) marks a permanent swapfile
> as unmovable.  Unless you have a HUGE swapfile this wouldn't explain why
> almost yr whole disk was unmovable, but it could be part of it.  You didn't
> try to run SD WITHIN Windows, did you??? (That could have very undesirable
> results, I understand...)

  With version 5.0 of SpeedDisk, there is a 'Walk Map' option. If you have a
mouse, just click on the block you want to look at, and a small window will
pop up, showing what files belong to all of the clusters that block
represents. It also tells you if it's fragmented, unfragmented, or
unmovable. If you don't have a mouse, pick the 'Walk Map' option in the
Information menu. You then use the arrow keys to move around, and hit ENTER
to display the information.

---------------
Andrew Rossmann               | Sysop of Infoplus BBS, +1 708 537 0247
 andyross@infopls.chi.il.us   | Infoplus Support, latest version available
 uunet!ddsw1!infopls!andyross | by logging in as infoplus.

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/31/91)

I just xcopy the disk to another disk, reformat the source disk, and
copy back whenever the cause of the block's being immovable is not
determinable. This always gets rid of the unmovable blocks.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

mpython@wpi.WPI.EDU (... and the flying circus) (06/05/91)

In article <1991May28.140354.446@sc2a.unige.ch> fisher@sc2a.unige.ch writes:
>In article <10545@castle.ed.ac.uk>, own@castle.ed.ac.uk (O Morgan) writes:
>> Some time ago there was some talk (panic) about large chunks of some
>> peoples hard disks being highlighted as "unmoveable" when trying to
>> unfragment the disk with Norton Speed disk. [...]
>
>Some executables with "strange" formats are also marked as unmovable.  I
>noticed this with the self-extracting LHarc version 1.13c (1989), which
>could be moved only when renamed to another extention.

Today,my roommate was running Speed Disk, and I noticed 2 immovable block
right in the middle of his disk. They were hidden files, so we changed them
to un-hidden, and they became movable again... did the original poster have
a HUGE portion of his disk Hidden?

--
   ************          And now...Marcel Marceau will mime
  *   1 6      *       A man being struck about the head by a 16 ton weight

raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.233518.20269@wpi.WPI.EDU>, mpython@wpi (... and the flying circus) writes:
>did the original poster have a HUGE portion of his disk Hidden?

Actually, it seems that Norton not only refuses to move hidden files,
but also refuses to move anything that lives inside a hidden directory.

(This is the Right Thing, since hidden files and hidden directories
might be part of copy protection schemes; actually, hidden directories
are officially illegal under MS-DOS, though they seem to work okay.)

ed@odi.com (Ed Schwalenberg) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun5.041313.264@agate.berkeley.edu> raymond@math.berkeley.edu (Raymond Chen) writes:
  Actually, it seems that Norton not only refuses to move hidden files,
  but also refuses to move anything that lives inside a hidden directory.

  (This is the Right Thing, since hidden files and hidden directories
  might be part of copy protection schemes; actually, hidden directories
  are officially illegal under MS-DOS, though they seem to work okay.)

The "RM" and "UNDEL" programs that come with Microsoft C 6.0 use
hidden directories.  I'd like to know what your "official" source is.

6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Steelworker) (06/06/91)

One more thing to be aware of when doing speed disk is to run
norton disk doctor first.  I had a similar problem (  many unmovealbe
files), and was puzzeled, until I found I had 85 lost chains . . .
At least sd was smart and did not destroy my drive!
But, none the less, run  ndd first.

Rob
6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu
I kill what I eat.

campbell@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Trevor George Campbell CC361) (06/07/91)

mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) writes:

>As I recall, Norton Speed Disk (quite properly) marks a permanent swapfile
>as unmovable.  Unless you have a HUGE swapfile this wouldn't explain why
>almost yr whole disk was unmovable, but it could be part of it.  You didn't
>try to run SD WITHIN Windows, did you??? (That could have very undesirable
>results, I understand...)

From my understanding of the windows manual, windows will only use (at most)
half of the free space on a disk for a permenent swapfile. And further, that
space must be continuous (or is that contiguous) ie: in one huge block, and
not fragmented.  I would support the idea of system/hidden files somewhere
on the disk, as the only time i have seen many (ie: more than about 2-3)
unmovable blocks it has  been due to system/hidden files.

--
Trevor          alias  <**<TOMCAT>**>

tuo em tel esaelP ,lanimret siht edisni kcuts m`I pleH

(
for all of you out there who can't read backwards.....
Help i'm stuck inside this terminal, Please let me out
)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/11/91)

In article <campbell.676283741@cutmcvax> campbell@cutmcvax.cs.curtin.edu.au (Trevor George Campbell CC361) writes:
>mjf@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Michael J Flory) writes:
>

>>As I recall, Norton Speed Disk (quite properly) marks a permanent swapfile
>>as unmovable.  Unless you have a HUGE swapfile this wouldn't explain why
>>almost yr whole disk was unmovable, but it could be part of it.  You didn't
>>try to run SD WITHIN Windows, did you??? (That could have very undesirable
>>results, I understand...)
>
>From my understanding of the windows manual, windows will only use (at most)
>half of the free space on a disk for a permenent swapfile. And further, that
>space must be continuous (or is that contiguous) ie: in one huge block, and
>not fragmented.  I would support the idea of system/hidden files somewhere
>on the disk, as the only time i have seen many (ie: more than about 2-3)
>unmovable blocks it has  been due to system/hidden files.

I don't think so. I have a 320Mb SCSI disk partitioned into many 32Mb ones (So
I use DOS 3.3, so sue me :-), with the last being a runt of 20Mb or so. I have`
the ENTIRE partition allocated as a permanent swap file. I think that when
setting it up, windows SUGGESTS a file size equal to half the current free
space, but it doesn't prevent you from entering whatever number you want.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254