[comp.windows.ms] A question about Windows

glennm@rover.enet.dec.com (Glenn Meyer) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun9.020012.19291@beaver.cs.washington.edu>,
kailun@cs.washington.edu writes:
> From: kailun@cs.washington.edu
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
> Subject: A question about Windows
> Date: 9 Jun 91 02:00:12 GMT
> Sender: news@beaver.cs.washington.edu (USENET News System)
> Originator: kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu
>

> Hi,
>
> I am running Windows 3.0 on my 386.  After opening several windows, I
> found that my hard drive would run for a few seconds every time when I
> selected the Program Manager.  Is it the so-called 'swapping' process?
> Will it help if I add more RAM on my PC? I received my computer just
> two days ago, so I know little about Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu

If you're running with 1 Mb of RAM, you should definitely upgrade to 2Mb, and
consider upgrading to 4 Mb (you should be able to find RAM for $60-70 per Mb).
It also helps to run in 386-enhanced mode.

By the way, you should post questions about MS Windows to comp.windows.ms.

Glenn Meyer
glennm@decwrl.dec.com

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.163121.22559@pa.dec.com> glennm@rover.enet.dec.com (Glenn Meyer) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.020012.19291@beaver.cs.washington.edu>,
>kailun@cs.washington.edu writes:
>> From: kailun@cs.washington.edu
>> Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
>> Subject: A question about Windows
>> Date: 9 Jun 91 02:00:12 GMT
>> Sender: news@beaver.cs.washington.edu (USENET News System)
>> Originator: kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu
>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running Windows 3.0 on my 386.  After opening several windows, I
>> found that my hard drive would run for a few seconds every time when I
>> selected the Program Manager.  Is it the so-called 'swapping' process?
>> Will it help if I add more RAM on my PC? I received my computer just
>> two days ago, so I know little about Windows.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> kailun@wolf.cs.washington.edu
>>

>If you're running with 1 Mb of RAM, you should definitely upgrade to 2Mb, and
>consider upgrading to 4 Mb (you should be able to find RAM for $60-70 per Mb).
>It also helps to run in 386-enhanced mode.

I have seen from some of the larger places, not necessarily well known for the
lowest prices, have memory (SIMMS) around $52/Mb (1M X 9). Some shopping should
find them even cheaper.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

kailun@cs.washington.edu (Kai-Lun Chan) (06/11/91)

Thank you for your help!!

kailun