[comp.windows.ms] hypertext in windows

WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (Olaf Winkelhake) (06/06/91)

Hi,
we are thinking of creating a hypertext stack for our students. None of us
is very familiar with hypertext programs, so we'd like to hear of some
experience made with those programs.
So far I have heard of the Programs TOOLBOOK and GUIDE. Did anybody
use them, how did they work - are there other (better) programs?
We'd need both: text and graphics but no sound.

Thanks alot in advance

Olaf Winkelhake
Dept. of Economics
University of Passau, Germany
wkwinkel@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.080923.4521@forwiss.uni-passau.de>,
WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (Olaf Winkelhake) says:

>Hi,
>we are thinking of creating a hypertext stack for our students. None of us
>is very familiar with hypertext programs, so we'd like to hear of some
>experience made with those programs.
>So far I have heard of the Programs TOOLBOOK and GUIDE. Did anybody
>use them, how did they work - are there other (better) programs?
>We'd need both: text and graphics but no sound.

   Look at the help compiler for windows that comes with the Microsoft
SDK or any of the Borland compilers for Windows.  From only briefly looking
at it, it will do hypertext like browsing and you can include graphics.

                                                             [Tim]

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Mike) (06/06/91)

WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (Olaf Winkelhake) writes:

>Hi,
>we are thinking of creating a hypertext stack for our students. None of us
>is very familiar with hypertext programs, so we'd like to hear of some
>experience made with those programs.
>So far I have heard of the Programs TOOLBOOK and GUIDE. Did anybody
>use them, how did they work - are there other (better) programs?
>We'd need both: text and graphics but no sound.

I think you will most definately want to use Toolbook.  I am currently
under the employ of two professors here at the University of Illinois,
converting Hypercard stacks to Toolbook.  The reason I say is not because
I think Toolbook is great (_slow_), but because the makers of Hypermedia
offer a program aptly entitled "ConvertIt!" which does a lot of the
work for you.  Then all you have to do is hire some undergraduate putz
to go in and take care of the rest!  (That would be me...)

Mike Stangel
m-stangel@uiuc.edu

hanj@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Jining Han) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun6.080923.4521@forwiss.uni-passau.de> WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (Olaf Winkelhake) writes:
>Hi,
>we are thinking of creating a hypertext stack for our students. None of us
>is very familiar with hypertext programs, so we'd like to hear of some
>experience made with those programs.
[stuff deleted]

    I looked at Spinnaker Plus not long ago, which I think you can
also consider.  It is compatible with the PLUS for Mac, therefore
it's possible to convert Mac HyperCard stacks into Plus.  The only
problem I have with it is hardware requirement: you need at least
2bm of RAM to run it, and when I tried it on a model 60 with 4mb,
it's slow.

    I was told that the package is listed at $495.00, but the
educational price is only $149.95.  The number that we called is

	800-323-8088, ext 489

Jining Han		     	|		  Indiana University

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.080923.4521@forwiss.uni-passau.de> WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (Olaf Winkelhake) writes:
>Hi,
>we are thinking of creating a hypertext stack for our students. None of us
>is very familiar with hypertext programs, so we'd like to hear of some
>experience made with those programs.
>So far I have heard of the Programs TOOLBOOK and GUIDE. Did anybody
>use them, how did they work - are there other (better) programs?
>We'd need both: text and graphics but no sound.

I have been using Guide for the last two years. I've developed hypertext
applications in cognitive psychology and the philosophy of science for
students in the Cognitive Science major at Occidental College.	In my
view, Guide is an excellent product.  When I began using it, it was
virtually the only hypertext product available for the PC, certainly
the only one running under Windows.  That was version 2.0. I created a
wish list of features I'd like to see. Virtually all of them were added
in version 3.0!  Product support is excellent. Here's one example: Version
2.0 did not have the ability to open and close hypertext windows from a script
linked to a button. We asked Owl International about this, and they wrote
an interpreter for us which did what we wanted.  We made extensive use of it.
We worried that our files would not be compatible with Guide 3.0, because
we had this special interpreter. We were wrong! Owl made sure that our
files were useable with Guide 3.0!  Now that's product support!

Hypertext authoring tools for the pc were just reviewed in a recent
edition of PC Magazine. They didn't give Guide top honors, and I agree
with their claims about the weaknesses of the product.	I suspect that
some of these features will be added in the next release.  Guide is
certainly worth a close look.  In any case, you should look at the PC Mag
article.

Saul Traiger
Director, Cognitive Science Program
Occidental College
Los Angeles, CA
traiger@oxy.edu

hadgraft@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Hadgraft) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun6.080923.4521@forwiss.uni-passau.de>, WKWINKEL@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de (Olaf Winkelhake) writes:
> Hi,
> we are thinking of creating a hypertext stack for our students. None of us
> is very familiar with hypertext programs, so we'd like to hear of some
> experience made with those programs.
> So far I have heard of the Programs TOOLBOOK and GUIDE. Did anybody
> use them, how did they work - are there other (better) programs?
> We'd need both: text and graphics but no sound.

I have used GUIDE extensively, and I think it would be easiest for you, since
you want mostly text and some graphics. TOOLBOOK is more flexible, which means
it'll probably be more work to get your job done.
  |  Senior Lecturer                |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au   |
  |  Dept of Civil Engineering      |  phone:  +61 3 565 4983          |
  |  Monash University              |  fax:    +61 3 565 4944 or 3409  |